NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, June 22, 2012

Taco Seasoning (Soy, Fish, Milk, Wheat, Egg and Nut-Free)

I found this recipe on allrecipes.com, posted by Bill Echols, and it is fantastic! I tried a few others that were either too spicy or too much heat and no flavor. I have modified it slightly to give you an idea how to modify it if you like it with more heat or mild or lower sodium. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does! :)
Please note that this recipe is only soy-free if you use all soy-free ingredients and is fish, milk, wheat, egg and nut-free.

Taco Seasoning

1 Tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 to 1 teaspoon salt (preferably sea salt)
1/4 to 1 teaspoon black pepper
1. In a small bowl, mix together all ingredients. (If you want more heat, use up to the higher amount of red pepper flakes, if you want less, use the smaller amount or you could even leave it out, though that is not my recommendation. If you are watching your salt intake, use the lower amount of salt, but I wouldn't recommend leaving it out completely. The amount of black pepper used is purely personal preference.)
2. Store in an air tight container.


There is no reason this mix shouldn't last as long as your spices last in your cupboard as long as it's stored in an air tight container - so a VERY long time! :) I use about 1/2 this mixture per pound of meat to give you an idea, but you can use more or less depending on personal preference. You can use it on chicken, beef, venison, etc. It's better (in my opinion) than the seasoning packets and so much better for you, and (though I've not priced it out) the price is not insane since you should have most of those ingredients in your spice cupboard on hand at any given time. Gotta love that! Enjoy!


If you don't have a wheat/gluten issue and/or want to try some other variations, my sister-in-law posted some to Baptist Missionary Women that you might enjoy.  Feel free to check them out here.



(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to try this. Taco seasoning is a staple at our house! Thank you so much for linking up at Gluten-Free Monday on OneCreativeMommy.com. (Pinned)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a pleasure, Heidi! :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Always great to have taco seasoning on hand!! Its so pretty when all the spices are seperated! Thanks for linking up, got it tweeted and pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! :) I wish that picture had turned out better. Maybe the next time I make it I'll get a better picture. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Hi, what brand of seasonings do you use?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally try to go with McCormick, but any that meet your allergen needs will work. Spices that are not already blended are a lot easier to find that are "safe" than blends, so most brands will work. Just check labels for allergen warnings, and use brands you trust.

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)