NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, June 22, 2012

Lemon Squares (Soy, Fish and Nut-Free, Can Be Wheat and Milk-Free)

This is a modified recipe of one I found in Betty Crocker's New Cookbook. It is one I make a lot, and it is a family favorite. It's wonderful when you are looking for a dessert that reminds you of summer and that is not so heavy as something chocolatey. With the extra powdered sugar on top it makes a delightful mini-mess on your lips that will remind you of eating powdered donuts as a kid and just makes you smile (at least that's how it works for me). I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!

Please note that this recipe is soy-free if you use all soy-free ingredients, is fish and nut-free and can be wheat and milk-free (see variations below).




Lemon Squares

1 Cup soy-free flour
(Double check labels!  I recommend an all-purpose flour, though, versus whole wheat)

½ Cup salted, full-fat butter, melted

¼ Cup powdered sugar

1 Cup granulated sugar

2 Tablespoons lemon juice

½ teaspoon baking powder

1/8 – ¼ teaspoon salt

2 eggs

Powdered sugar (for garnish)



  1. Heat oven to 350oF.

  2. Mix flour, melted butter and ¼ Cup powdered sugar in an ungreased square pan (8x8 or 9x9) until a dough forms; press dough into bottom of pan, building up ½ inch edges.

  3. Bake the crust for 20 minutes.

  4. Beat remaining ingredients except extra powdered sugar with electric mixer on high speed for about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy; pour over hot crust. (You can do this step by hand with a whisk, but you have to beat the mixture longer (nearly twice as long).)

  5. Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until no indentation remains when touched lightly in the center.

  6. Cool and dust with powdered sugar before cutting into squares.



Variations:

  • Lime or Orange Squares: Use lime or orange juice instead of lemon.

  • Wheat/Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free flour (such as King Arthur Brand) for the flour.

  • Dairy/Milk-Free: Use Earth Balance Soy-Free Spread in place of the butter. I have not tried using olive or canola oil in place of the butter, but I find no reason that that should not be successful as well.

(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

4 comments:

  1. We love anything with Lemon in our house. Must give this a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom LOVES lemon squares, I can't wait to make this for her! Got it tweeted and pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, too! :) They are probably my favorite bar cookie, and I know they are my brother-in-law's fave (my sister asks me to make them for most family get-togethers). I hope your mother enjoys them!

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)