NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, June 22, 2012

Easy Flavored Rice (Soy, Fish, Milk, Nut, Wheat and Egg-Free)

I cannot say that this recipe is necessarily mine, though the dried parsley is my tweak, but I cannot give exact credit to anyone in particular either because the idea of using broth instead of water has been around for ages (If anyone out there knows the exact origin, please let me know and I'll amend this! Thanks!). What I can say about this recipe, though, is that it is very easy and very adaptable. It is great as is for sides or to give more flavor to rice that you want to add to other recipes. I think you will find it invaluable! :)

Please note that this recipe is only soy if you use all soy-free ingredients, and is also fish, milk, nut, wheat and egg-free.

Easy Chicken Flavored Rice


Easy Flavored Rice

Minute/Instant Rice (white or brown - your choice)

Soy-Free Broth/Stock of choice (I recommend using Kitchen Basics)

Dried parsley (optional)

1. Cook the minute/instant rice according to the box directions EXCEPT use the broth/stock in place of the water.

2. After the rice has cooked for its 5 minutes, stir in dried parsley to taste (anywhere from 1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon should be sufficient) BEFORE you let it rest for the recommended 5 minutes.

Variations:
  • Spanish Rice: If following the 2 servings directions on the box: Bring 1 Cup chicken broth/stock and 1/2 to 1 Cup soy-free salsa (any heat) to a boil, stir in your 1 Cup rice and return mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley (if using), cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff lightly with fork and serve.
  • Chicken Almond Rice: Cook the rice using chicken broth/stock and stir in toasted slivered almonds (amount based on personal preference, but I'd say 1/2 to 1 Cup per 2 servings should be more than adequate) either with the parsley or right before serving depending on how much crunch you want them to have. (Note that this version is NOT nut-free.) To toast almonds: Toast them either on the stove in a heavy, ungreased skillet over medium heat until golden brown OR spread them in one layer on an ungreased, shallow baking pan and cook at 350oF for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the almonds are golden brown.
(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

    4 comments:

    1. This is such a good idea! And so simple too :-)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Sarah! It is very simple...That's why I like it! :)

        Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

        Delete
    2. Love how simple this is!! Happy New Year!!

      Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)
      I hope to see you again next week!

      This week's link up will be live Thursday at 7 pm eastern time! We will have kicking this year off with a Gluten Free Giveaway! Better Batter has graciously offered to share some Brownie mix to one lucky person! Come share all your goodies! Remember you can link up recipes, review or healthy living posts! The more you link up the more chances you have to win!

      See you there!

      Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I love how simple it is, too! :)

        Always a pleasure to join GFF, so I will be there on Friday for sure, if not tonight! :)

        Take care, and Happy New Year, Cindy!

        Delete

    Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

    Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

    Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)