NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, June 22, 2012

Garlic Mahed Potatoes (Fish, Egg, Nut, Wheat and Soy-Free)



One side dish I never have trouble getting my kids to eat is mashed potatoes, especially if they are garlic mashed potatoes. :) This recipe is my own, rather simple, inexpensive and allergy-friendly on all accounts other than milk. Please note that they are fish, egg, nut and wheat-free, and only soy-free if you make sure to use all soy-free ingredients.

Garlic Mashed Potatoes
6 medium red potatoes, chopped into about 1 inch pieces
(russet type can be used, but you will have to peel them)

Water

1 teaspoon to 1 Tablespoon garlic salt (I reommend McCormick's)

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 Tablespoon dried parsley

4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) salted, full-fat butter

1/2 Cup milk

1/2 Cup sour cream (I use Daisy Brand) (optional)

1. In medium pot, cover the chopped potatoes with just enough water to cover them.

2. Cook potatoes over high heat for 20 to 25 minutes (start to finish) or until the potatoes are fork tender (fork slides easily in and out of potatoes). (Keep an eye on the pot after the water begins to boil. You may have to turn the heat down to medium to keep them from boiling over.)

3. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.

4. Add garlic salt (amount is based on personal preference), pepper (amount is based on personal preference here, too), parsley, butter, milk and sour cream (if using) and mash potatoes with a potato masher until desired consistency. (You can also use a hand mixer, but I prefer the masher. It's a good way to work out frustrations. :) )

Yields about six or so 1 Cup servings.

And that's it. Easy-peasy. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does! :)



 (This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE garlic, it doesn't like me so much! :) LOL Got this one tweeted and pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's most people, Cindy. LOL :) I find that garlic salt makes it not quite so rough on the tummy vs. using fresh garlic, at least for some people. If you do try them, I hope that this recipe is easier on your tummy!

      Delete
  2. I love to find "normal" recipes that are gluten free! Thanks for reminding me that my family can still eat yummy potatoes! I like this recipe so much that I will be featuring it this week on Gluten-Free Monday at OneCreativeMommy.com. Please stop by and grab a featured button if you’d like. I hope you’ll be back to link up again on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi! I will definitely be stopping by. :)

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)