NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, June 22, 2012

Cheeseburger Soup (Soy, Fish, Egg and Nut-Free)



This is a slightly modified version of my Aunt Lisa Schraw's recipe. My Granny gave to me when I got married, and it's fantastic! It is also very hardy (In the words of Rachael Ray, this is a "stoup".). It does require a little attention, but it's nothing too complicated. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does!

Please note that this recipe is only soy-free if you use all soy-free ingredients and is fish, egg and nut-free.

Cheeseburger Soup
1/2 to 1 lb. hamburger or ground venison, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste, if desired

3/4 Cup diced onion

3/4 Cup shredded carrots

3/4 Cup chopped celery

1 teaspoon dried basil

1 teaspoon dried parsley

4 Tablespoons salted, full-fat butter, divided

3 Cups chicken broth/stock (I use Kitchen Basics)
or
3 Cups water plus 3 chicken bullion cubes
(Soy-free bullion is hard to find, so I recommend using the stock instead if you need it to be soy-free.)

4 Cups diced potatoes
(peeled if you are using russet type, unpeeled if you are using red type)

1/4 Cup soy-free flour

 
8 oz (1 Cup) shredded cheese (I use Cheddar)

1 1/2 Cups milk

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/4 Cup sour cream (I use Daisy Brand)


1. In medium skillet, brown the beef/venison and drain off the fat.

2. In large skillet, saute onions, carrots, celery, basil and parsley in 1 Tablespoon of the butter, just until the veggies are tender (about 10 minutes).

3. In a large soup pot, add broth/stock or water and bullion, potatoes, beef/venison and sauted veggies and bring to a boil, simmering until the potatoes are to desired tenderness.

4. In a small skillet, melt the remaining butter and add the flour, cooking and stirring it for 3 to 5 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly. (You are making what is called a roux (pronounced "rue") here. You can let it get as dark as you want (the darker it gets, the more nutty the taste), but be careful as to not burn the flour.)

5. Add the roux to the soup and bring it to a boil, then cook and stir it for 2 minutes.

6. Reduce heat to low and add the cheese, milk, salt and pepper, cooking and stirring until the cheese is melted.

7. Remove the soup from the heat and blend in the sour cream.

This recipe yields about 2 1/4 quarts or about eight 1 Cup servings.


Variation: Bacon Cheeseburger Soup: Cut up about 6 strips of bacon into small pieces and fry it, bake it or microwave it until it is crispy. Sprinkly bacon pieces on top of individual portions of soup before serving. 






(Bacon Cheeseburger Soup)

(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)