NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, September 9, 2013

The Back-To-School Link-Up {Day 9}: Jodi's Favorite Gluten Free/Peanut Free Snacks {Guest Post}


Today is the ninth day of my back-to-school link-up.  If you haven't gotten a chance to check out all the posts that have been shared and/or linked up yet, please do so today!   Remember, at the end of this link-up, I will be highlighting some of my favorites from posts YOU have linked up!  You don't want to miss out! :)

Here is what has been shared so far:

  1. Stacey's Turkey, Cheese and Salsa Wraps (Fish, Egg and Nut-Free, Can Be Milk, Soy and Wheat-Free)
  2. Christy's "Additive-Free" Lunch Box Ideas for Kids
  3. Cindy's Back-To-School Tip: Medical Alert Wristbands
  4. Jennifer's Tips On How To Keep Your Child With Allergies/Asthma Safe At School
  5. Jo's Tips On Bringing Treats To School From A Teacher's Perspective
  6. Lisa & Ashley's Back-To-School Dose Of Reality Style!
  7. Lauren's List Of Hidden Allergens In School Supplies
  8. Chris's "Dear Teacher..." Letter
Today's guest post is by a new friend of mine, Jodi of Know Gluten.
 
~*~*~*~
Jodi's Profile Picture 

I love it when my kids' friends come over, and they love it when I feed them. Right now we live in a great neighborhood filled with little boys ages 9-12, and when they don't have football they like to hang out at our place. Admittedly, it's probably because we have an Xbox with 4 controllers, but I like to think it's partly because of the snacks. We have an "open fridge" policy for our kids' friends, if we have it in the house, they are welcome to eat it, but occasionally I'll have the time and inclination to set out snacks. It can be challenging because I like to keep things gluten free, so I'm not having to deal with "poison" crumbs when the gang goes home, and snacks also have to be peanut free because one of the friends has a peanut allergy. Here are some of the favorite crowd pleasing, allergy friendly snacks at our place.

Jodi's Favorite Gluten Free/ Peanut Free Snacks

Oranges Larger1. Go green

Believe it or not, veggie sticks are THE most popular treat I put out. I bought a little serving dish at a dollar store and I fill it with celery sticks, sugar snap peas and baby carrots. Sometimes for fun I use a mini-muffin pan. No dip. Just veggies. This one is my favorite too!
Oranges

2. Fruity Fun

A close second to the veggies. I buy smaller apples and put them out in a bowl with a bunch of bananas beside them. Cuties go well, but if I don't have any, I slice up oranges in fancy little half circles. If they're in season, and I'm feeling particularly generous, I might even serve up some local strawberries.

3. A little cheesy

I hit the warehouse stores for this one! A huge pack of cheese strings is a great way to power up and curb that 3pm hunger. I love these because the kids can grab and go and they can't spill on the carpet.

4. And now we're getting corny

Popcorn! I make my own, in a paper bag in the microwave. Recently my son discovered gluten free flavored popcorn salt. He bought bacon flavor. I'm a purist. Melted butter for me.

Animal Crackers5. Everybody’s safe with these Cookies and Milk

Cookies and milk, or juice, or water. I always buy Kinnikinnick cookies for the kids' friends. I've read too many news reports about an anaphylactic kid accidentally eating something at a friend's house. Kinnikinnick might not be the only gluten, dairy, soy, nut, tree nut and sesame free cookies, but they are by far the best tasting. We buy the chocolate chip cookies, the animal crackers (vanilla and chocolate) and the graham crackers.

6. Smoothing out the end

Last, but certainly not least, smoothies. I set out a smoothie bar, Magic Bullet cups, open bags of frozen fruit with measuring cup scoops, juice and milk (and milk substitutions), honey and vanilla (And a mop, but that's for later. Blueberries can get away on you) and I let the kids create their own healthy treat.   



~*~*~*~

 You can connect with Jodi at the following locations:


Know Gluten

Facebook

~*~*~*~
Thanks for being my guest today, Jodi! 

Here is your badge if you'd like to use it:


~*~*~*~
Before you go, take a moment to leave Jodi some comment love below, link-up and/or view the posts already linked up!  Thanks!


 ~*~ Now It's Your Turn! ~*~

 
~*~ Grab A Badge! ~*~

 



(This post was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Julie! Thanks again for sharing my post today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! Thanks so much for being my guest! :)

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)