NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Easy "Meat and Potatoes" Skillet (Soy, Fish, Milk, Egg, Wheat and Nut-Free)

Easy "Meat and Potatoes" Skillet still in the skillet


We are a big meat and potatoes family, which I hope my vegetarian/vegan friends and readers can forgive me for!  Because of this, if I can find a way to have both together in a form that doesn't take hours to make, I jump at the chance.  While on a quest to come up with a new dinner recipe, I decided to modify my Breakfast Scramble recipe to make such a supper.  The result?  A carnivore's delight, for sure!
  
This recipe is soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), fish, milk, egg, wheat and nut-free.  And there's bacon, y'all!  Everything tastes better with bacon! :)  It's also super easy which is another plus for sure!  It got rave reviews from the fam, too, so I'm hopeful that the meat lovers in your family will love it as well! :)
 
Just a side note before I share the recipe: My oldest thought I should call this "Carnivore Salad", which I almost named it, but decided that (due to a lack of greens) that would be misleading, hence the reason it is Easy "Meat and Potatoes" Skillet instead.  I just had to share that with you, though, because it was too cute not to share, and I thought it would make you smile. :)
Alright!  Onto the recipe!


Easy "Meat and Potatoes" Skillet
12 slices of raw, soy-free bacon, cut into bite-size pieces

2 to 3 raw, boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
4 to 6 mini potatoes (red, white, yellow; peeled or with skin - your choice on all of the above), cut into small dice (think tip of your pinky size)
mushrooms, canned or fresh (optional)
onion salt*
celery salt*
garlic salt*
parsley flakes
ground black pepper
paprika
*- I recommend McCormick brand
  1. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until about half cooked, about 5 to 10 minutes; add chicken and cook until chicken is browned and bacon is nearly done, about 5 to 10 more minutes.
      
  2. Add potatoes, mushrooms (if using; amount to taste) and spices (all spices are to taste) to the mix and cover and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
     
  3. Uncover and cook for about 5 more minutes or until the potatoes begin to brown; remove from heat and enjoy.
     
Feeds a family of 5 generously with left-overs!

Easy "Meat and Potatoes" Skillet ready to eat



Variations (Please make sure all your substitutions/add-ins fit your allergen/dietary needs!):
  • Use Up The Left-overs: You can make this easily with left over precooked chicken and even frozen cubed potatoes, if you wish.  This will also reduce your cooking time by about half, too.

  • Get Your Veggies: You can add in any veggies you like, such as broccoli, green pepper, etc.  Basically whatever you like in an omelet would work here as well.

  • More Meat: If you really want to add more meat, you could add sausage and/or ham, too, or use them in place of the bacon, just be sure to add a Tablespoon or so of some type of fat in the beginning to your skillet.
     
  •  Add Some Cheese: After the skillet is done, you can add some cheese (dairy or non) to either the whole dish or individual portions.  Any cheese will do.
     
    Easy "Meat and Potatoes" Skillet with Cheese
     
  • Add Some BBQ Sauce: This meal is also great with BBQ sauce (I recommend Sweet Baby Ray's).



Easy "Meat and Potatoes" Skillet with cheese and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce




(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

6 comments:

  1. Great recipe suggestion! This is something our husbands would love! :)-The Dose Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Anything that requires only one dish and contains meat and potatoes is a winner in our family! :) If you do decide to make it, I hope your hubbies adore it! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow, that surely sounds yummy, especially with cheese and bbq sauce! I love easy, one-dish meals! I just stopped by from SITS to say hello; hope you find time to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eva! :) I love easy, one-dish meals, too! :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. My inlaws will LOVE this! :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Thanks for linking back to the Gluten Free Fridays post!

    Party starts tomorrow at 7:05 pm eastern time! Hope to see you there!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! :) I plan on it! :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)