NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Caramel Mocha (Soy, Egg, Wheat, Nut and Fish-Free, Can Be Milk-Free and Diabetic Friendly)

The Coffee Shop
 
Yesterday, I was a guest on The Coffee Shop!  My first guest post of the new year!  YAY! :)  If you're reading this, Paloma, thanks again for the opportunity.  And, my readers, If you have a chance, please go over and check out her site.  You won't regret it.  She shares some pretty yummy recipes! 
Anyway, I wanted to share with you the recipe I shared there (To see my original guest post there, click here.).  It's for Caramel Mocha, and is adapted from a recipe I found here.  It is soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), egg, wheat, nut and fish-free, and can be milk-free and diabetic friendly.  How awesome is that?  Allergy-friendly and delish!  What a great combo! :)
Caramel Mocha

3/4 Cup white sugar, divided

3 Tablespoons salted, full-fat butter

 4 1/2 Cup milk, divided

1/2 Cup cocoa powder

2 Tablespoons instant coffee

1/8 teaspoon salt (optional)

1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
  1. In a medium saucepan, cook 1/2 Cup of the sugar over medium heat, stirring occasionally with a spatula (if it becomes lumpy, reduce heat and refrain from stirring), until it turns a deep amber color; add the butter and stir until it is melted. 
  2. Add 1/2 Cup milk, coffee, cocoa, salt (if using) and remaining 1/4 Cup sugar and mix until well blended. (Note: Be careful!  The hot sugar will bubble up when you add the milk.)
  3. Add the remaining 4 Cups of milk and stir until everything is heated thoroughly.
  4. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the vanilla before enjoying.

Makes about 5 one Cup servings.

Variations:
  • Milk-free: Use a dairy-free milk for the milk and a dairy-free butter for the butter (such as Earth Balance and/or SoDelicious brands).  Just keep in mind your allergen needs when picking a substitute.
     
  • Sugar-Free: Use a sugar substitute in place of the sugar.
     
  • Frothy Top: Place a 1 Cup portion in the blender and blend for a few seconds before pouring into a mug for a nice frothy top.
     
  • Coffeehouse Style: Top with sweetened whipped cream, caramel sauce, cinnamon or any combination that you like to make a more "coffeehouse" style drink.  Just keep in mind your allergen needs when using this variation.
     
  • Iced Caramel Mocha: Let the mocha cool and then serve over ice.
     
  • Caramel Mocha Frappe: Let the mocha cool and add a 1 Cup portion to a blender along with 1/2 to 1 Cup (amount based on preference) of ice and blend until desired consistency.  I would start with the 1/2 Cup of ice and add more if you want it thicker.
     
  • Caramel Hot Cocoa:  Not a coffee fan?  Just leave out the coffee and have yourself a Caramel Hot Cocoa instead. :)
(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)



22 comments:

  1. {Melinda} I'm not a coffee drinker, but my teenage daughter loves these kind of coffee drinks. I fought her love for coffee for a long time, but it seems to make her so much more pleasant and happy in the morning!

    Oh, and Paloma's awesome ... love her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could always leave the coffee out and have a Caramel Hot Cocoa instead. :) Would still be yummy! :) I'll add that to my variations. :)

      Love Paloma, too! She's so sweet!

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  2. This looks yummy!! I need to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vanessa! :) I hope you like it!

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my this looks heavenly! I love that you posted so many variations too. Will have to try it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! :) I hope you enjoy it!

      I like to do variations, because I like to make things that can used in more than one way. It's kind of an obsession of mine! LOL :) I figure, the more ways you can do it, the more likely you are to have something for everyone. It's not a hard and fast rule, but it does help.

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  4. I. Love. You.
    THANK you for this recipe!! I can't wait to try it, it sounds so amazing!!
    Stopping by from SITS! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! :)

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Always nice to meet a fellow SITStah.

      Have a happy Monday!

      Delete
  5. The caramel hot cocoa version sounds fabulous! Thanks for linking up on Gluten-Free Monday at OneCreativeMommy.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any time, Heidi! :) I remembered that you didn't like coffee, and when Melinda mentioned not being a coffee drinker, I had to add in the cocoa version for you two. :) I hope you like it!

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  6. Sounds delicious! I LOVE coffee and every kind of coffee drink ever. I love that you also included variations, too!! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! :) I hope you like it if you decide to try it! It may not be Starbucks, but I'm proud of it. ;)

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  7. This looks and sounds very yummy! I think I'll keep the coffee out, though - I've never cared for the taste of it. :)

    Thanks for sharing! Stopping by from the Thursday Obsessions Blog Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! :)

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :)

      Delete
  8. Julie, this sounds lovely. Hope you had a nice New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :)

      So far, so good. Just a little first of the year ickies going around, but other than that, not a bad start to the year. :) Hope yours is going well, too!

      Take care, Carole, and thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  9. Looks good - I'd like to have one.

    thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you make it, I hope you enjoy it! :)

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :) Have a great rest of your weekend.

      Delete
  10. YUM, did you make this for me? LOL YUMMMMMYY
    Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    On the Gluten Free Fridays tab we have new badges for you to display on your blog. There are a few different choices for you. There are varying sizes as well. If you've had a featured recipe in the past, feel free to grab one of those badges as well! They are free for the taking; use as you wish! Thanks for supporting our GF community and spreading the word!

    Thanks for linking back to the Gluten Free Fridays post!

    See you at the link up this week!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did share it to GFF just for you, Cindy, since I know you love the coffee drinks! :)

      I will definitely be checking out the new badges! Thanks for the heads up!

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! See you tomorrow at the link-up! :)

      Delete
    2. You do know me :) LOL We are becoming fast blogging friends!! :) :)

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)