NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

White Chicken Chili (Soy, Nut, Fish, Wheat and Egg-Free, Can Be Milk-Free)


I am a huge chili fan.  I have always wanted to make White Chicken Chili, but never knew how to go about it.  I went to Allrecipes.com and found this recipe as submitted by JELZA that I knew I could work with and modify to create the perfect White Chicken Chili for my family.  The result?  SUCCESS!  The kiddos liked it, hubby loved it and I was beyond pleased with not only the taste but the ease of preparation.

This recipe is soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), fish, nut, wheat and egg-free, and can be milk-free (see variations).  I hope you enjoy it!

White Chicken Chili
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive oil

1 Tablespoon full-fat, salted butter

1 to 3 raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces

1 bottle (24 or 48 oz.) soy-free Great Northern Beans (I recommend Randall's), drained and rinsed

1 can/box (14.5 to 32 oz.) soy-free chicken broth or stock (I recommend Kitchen Basics)

1 to 2 cans (4.5 oz.) soy-free chopped green chilies (I recommend Old El Paso)

1 teaspoon soy-free onion salt (I recommend McCormick's)

1 teaspoon soy-free garlic salt (I recommend McCormick's)

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

1/2 teaspoon ground white or black pepper

1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)

1 to 2 Cups soy-free sour cream (I recommend Daisy brand) (optional)
  1. Heat olive oil and butter in a large soup pot over medium heat; add chicken (amount based on preference) and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 10 to 15 minutes.
      
  2. Mix Great Northern beans (amount based on preference), chicken broth/stock (amount based on preference), green chilies (amount based on preference), onion salt, garlic salt, cumin, oregano, pepper and red pepper flakes (amount based on preference or you can leave it out entirely) into the chicken mixture; stir well and bring mixture to a boil.  (Note: When I first made this chili, I missed the part about draining and rinsing the beans.  The recipe turned out fine, but we got a little more of the fibrous effects of the recipe than we otherwise would have if I'd have drained and rinsed the beans, if you know what I mean.  Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know that it is not a flavor issue but a fiber issue that you are asked to drain and rinse them, so if you have eaten these beans with the liquid in the past and would like to keep the liquid, you most certainly may.)
      
  3. Reduce the heat and allow the chili to simmer until the flavors have blended, about 30 minutes.
      
  4. Remove the chili from the heat and, if desired, stir in the sour cream (amount based on preference) until well incorporated before serving or dollop the tops of individual bowls with sour cream before serving.
Makes about 8 servings.

Variation:
  • Milk-Free: Either leave out the butter and the sour cream or replace them with dairy-free butter (such as Earth Balance) and dairy-free plain yogurt (such as SoDelicious).




    ***

    Also, coming up on February 1st through 7th, Stacey from Glued To My Crafts, Vanessa from Vanessa's Place and I are hosting a link-up (with giveaway) called "Sweets For My Sweetie"!  We'll even be featuring our TOP 5 Faves on February 8th, and we have a special surprise planned, too!  You won't want to miss it! 


    Hope to see you there!
     

     (This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

    36 comments:

    1. I didn't even realize there was such a thing as white chili until reading this. It sounds and looks absolutely DELICIOUS!! YUMMMMMY!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It is very good! You should make some! :) It is totally easy to make. One pot meals are just awesome! :)

        Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

        Delete
    2. Replies
      1. Thank you for stopping by and commenting! If you try it, you'll have to let me know what you think! It was a huge hit with the family, and I'm making it this weekend, too, for a chili cook-off at our church. Wish me luck! :)

        Delete
    3. {Melinda} This looks amazing, Julie. I love all kinds of chili. I only wish my family did. By the time I take out all the things they don't like, I'm left with soup! :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you, Melinda! For all the things my kids will eat, they don't seem to like the things I remember growing up on. For example, they don't like just plain mac & cheese very often - they want it to have ham in it or be like pizza or taco mac. They don't like chicken noodle soup, but will humor me and eat a little of my homemade kind. They like PB&J or grilled cheese and pizza, but only one of my kiddos likes spaghetti. I'm just glad they are willing to try new things and will eat what is served (at least a little bit) even if they don't care for it! Makes me feel like one blessed mommy for sure!!! :)

        Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

        Delete
    4. This looks delicious. I love white chicken chili!
      Thanks for becoming my newest Twitter follower!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! I'm definitely a fan myself.

        Glad to have a new Twitter friend, too! :)

        Have a great end of your week, and thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

        Delete
    5. Thanks for this great spin on one of my favorite soups!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. If you do make it for your family, I hope they like it! :)

        Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Have a great weekend!

        Delete
    6. This looks delicious! I don't make chili often for my family because my husband can't tolerate too many beans or spices, but I think he might be able to eat (and enjoy!) this. Thanks for a great looking recipe!
      -Dana

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you, Dana!

        I hope you are able to use this recipe and that it is enjoyed by all! :)

        Have a great weekend, and thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!

        Delete
    7. Replies
      1. Thanks! I hope if you try it that you love it! :)

        Have a great week, and thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :)

        Delete
    8. I love white chicken chili, and this seems so healthy!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks! It is, and oh so delicious! :) If you try it, I hope you love it!

        Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Have a great day!

        Delete
    9. Looks perfect for this CHILLY weather we are having!!
      Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

      Thanks for linking back to the Gluten Free Fridays post!

      See you at the link up this week! We are having a special giveaway this week! Its a tote bag filled with some Gluten Free Allergy Friendly goodies!

      Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Cindy, for stopping by and the comment! :)

        I will definitely be by to link-up! :)

        Delete
    10. This looks delicious - especially for those of us (like me) up here in the Northeast! I love how you are so cognizant of allergies like wheat and nut. Happy SITS Day!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for the sweet comment and for stopping by, Danielle! So good to meet you! :) If you try it, I hope you enjoy it!

        Delete
    11. Visiting from SITS! Looks like a great recipe! There is so much due diligence involved with making sure your ingredients are soy free or gluten free! My family used to have to eat gluten free because my youngest had a wheat allergy, and although he's now outgrown it, we still have recipes from those days that we use. I love trying things like this! Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hear you on that! I didn't realize how much was involved until I started doing some digging. WOW! I am so glad I educated myself, though.

        Thanks for stopping by, and have a great day! :)

        Delete
    12. Have a great SITS Day! I'll have to give this recipe a try, my last attempt at chicken chili was inedible.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I hope this time go-round goes much better! Good luck!

        Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :)

        Delete
    13. I love white bean chicken chili and had given it up do to allergens. Thank you for the safe recipe. Enjoy your SITS Day.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're so welcome! I hope you enjoy it and are able to eat it without issue! :)

        Delete
    14. That looks delicious! We are overdue for some chili at my house.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! We are, too, come to think of it! :) Will have to get the ingredients to chili of some sort soon! :)

        Thanks for stopping by! :)

        Delete
    15. What a great recipe for those with special dietary needs! Visiting from SITS! www.chroniclesofafoodie.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Ashley, for the compliment and for stopping by! :)

        Delete
    16. This looks really, really good. We have a dear friend who has gluten sensitivities, so this is really helpful. Will be using your site! Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Wonderful, and you're welcome! I hope you find other things to use and make for your friend as well. If you or your friend needs anything, has any questions, concerns or comments, please know that my email is always open. :)

        Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete
    17. I would love to try this sometime. Sounds very different.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! It is completely different than regular chili, but still very good. I hope you like it! :)

        Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete

    Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

    Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

    Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)