NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

12 Days of Christmas {Goodies}: Granny's Favorite Gingerbread (Soy, Fish and Nut-Free, Can Be Milk-Free)



Welcome to the fifth day of
The 12 Days of Christmas {Goodies} link-up,
brought to you by Natural and Free and Glued to My Crafts! 

At the end of this post (and every post for the full extent of this link-up) you will get the chance to share your Christmas creations with us (details to follow).  And you'll want to share because we have some amazing giveaways  (among other things) planned! And we all know, there's nothing better than a holiday giveaway! :)

Thank you to all who have linked up so far!  41 link-ups (as of this morning) and growing!  That's some awesome participation, and we're not even halfway through!  YAY!   Please keep the Christmas-y links coming!  You're making my (and Stacey's) week for sure! :)

If I haven't stopped by to check out your submission, I'll be there ASAP! :)  I can't wait to see what you've shared!

Oh, and a very special thank you to LinkyHere.com for featuring this link-up today in your blog!  You all are just tremendous! :)

 ***
And now *clears throat and begins singing boisterously to the tune of The 12 Days of Christmas*:

On the fifth day of  The Christmas {Goodies} link-up, Natural and Free gave to me:

5. Granny's Favorite Gingerbread!

4. Chocolate-Covered Pretzels!

3. Yummy Peppermint Fudge!

2. Cute and festive Pine Cones!

and

1. A recipe for Candied Pecans!


When I first got the idea for this link-up, I knew I wanted to share a recipe for Gingerbread, but I didn't have one.  I figured if anyone I knew had one, it was my Granny, and boy, did she ever deliver!  She shared with me how they used to have this treat on Sunday nights after church served up piping hot with some homemade whipped cream (for a recipe for some, click here).   Delish!

I did change the name to honor my Granny (it was her favorite treat that her mother made for her), and I did modify this recipe a little (the original recipe can be found in the 1950's 1st Edition of the Betty Crocker Cook Book) to make it more allergy-friendly, but it is still to die for!  My version is soy, fish and nut-free and can be milk-free (see variation).  I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did (My 10-year-old had 2 pieces!) and that it becomes part of your Christmas traditions like it will ours. :)

Granny's Favorite Gingerbread
1/2 Cup full-fat, salted butter, softened

2 Tablespoons white sugar

1 egg

1 Cup molasses (light or dark, your favorite)

1 Cup boiling water

2 1/4 Cup soy-free flour (all-purpose or whole wheat, your favorite)

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

  1. Preheat the oven to 350oF.
  2. Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together the butter, white sugar and egg until well-blended.
  4. Blend in the molasses and boiling water.
  5. In another medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon before adding them to the molasses mixture and beating until smooth.
  6. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean; serve hot.
Makes 9 generous portions or up to 16 smaller portions.

Variations: 
  • Topped with whipped cream:  Enjoy this gingerbread fresh from the oven topped with whipped cream (recipe here).
  • Less molasses: If you don't have the full cup of molasses or think you don't want that much molasses flavor, you can use 1/2 Cup molasses and 1/2 Cup maple syrup, 3/4 Cup molasses and 1/4 Cup maple syrup, etc. instead.  You can even use as little as 1/3 Cup molasses and 2/3 Cup maple syrup with success.  The point is to have at least enough molasses to get the flavor (I don't recommend less than 1/3 Cup) for the recipe.
  • Milk-Free: Use a dairy-free butter like Earth Balance for the butter.




***
Now it's your turn!




Grab your badge here!



(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)
 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! :) This was my first time making gingerbread, and I was amazed how moist and delicious it was. I have always been a fan of gingerbread, but normally found that it was a bit overwhelming, either heavy or spicy. This was nice and light. Might have been because I split the maple syrup and the molasses, not sure, but still - totally yummy! :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Julie, thanks for linking this in. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Carole! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! :)

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)