NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Sunday, December 2, 2012

12 Days of Christmas {Goodies}: Pine Cones (Egg, Soy, Fish and Wheat-Free)


Welcome to the second day of
The 12 Days of Christmas {Goodies} link-up,
brought to you by Natural and Free and Glued to My Crafts! 

At the end of this post (and every post for the full extent of this link-up) you will get the chance to share your Christmas creations with us (details to follow).  And you'll want to share because we have some amazing giveaways  (among other things) planned! And we all know, there's nothing better than a holiday giveaway! :)

Thank you to all who have linked up so far!  If I haven't stopped by to check out your submission, I'll be there ASAP! :)  I can't wait to see what you've shared!

And now *clears throat and does the whole "me-me-me-me" thing before singing*:

On the second day of  The Christmas {Goodies} link-up, Natural and Free gave to me:

2. Cute and festive Pine Cones!

and

1. A recipe for Candied Pecans!


Today's recipe is a mildly altered version of one I found in the Treasury of Christmas Cookbook.  It's a buttery cheese spread decorated with almonds and rosemary to look like pine cones.  Adorable and fun...and allergy-friendly!  These delicious works of art are egg, soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), fish and wheat-free!

Pine Cones
2 Cups (8 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese

1/2 Cup full-fat, salted butter, softened

5 Tablespoons milk

1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne or chipotle or ground red pepper flakes)

1 Cup finely chopped blanched almonds

3/4 Cup sliced almonds

3/4 Cup whole almonds

fresh rosemary sprigs

  1. Beat cheese, butter, milk and red pepper in a medium bowl until smooth; stir in chopped almonds.
  2. Divide the mixture into 2 equal portions; shape into tapered ovals to resemble pine cones.
  3. Insert sliced and whole almonds into the cheese mixture to make them look like pine cones. (Note: If you like one look more than another, you can use all whole almonds or all sliced almonds to decorate with.)
  4. Cover pine cones and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours or until firm.
  5. Arrange pine cones on a serving tray, plate or wooden board and garnish the tops with rosemary.
Serve with assorted crackers, pretzels, etc.  Just remember to keep your or your loved one's allergen needs in mind when picking out the crackers, pretzels, etc.

Makes 12 to 16 appetizer servings.






***

Now it's your turn!



Grab your badge here!
  

(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

6 comments:

  1. At first I thought those were real pine cones. What a neat idea. We love cheese spread on Ritz Crackers around here, so this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I didn't think I did *that* good of a job on them, but thank you for thinking so! :) I thought they were pretty adorable!

      Delete
  2. What a clever presentation! Thanks for linking up on Gluten-Free Monday at OneCreativeMommy.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's exactly what I thought when I saw the originals! :) They are just fun and festive and so easy to make!

      Thanks for stopping by and linking up!

      Delete
  3. What a cool idea! I have it tweeted and pinned!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)