NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

12 Days of Christmas {Goodies}: Chocolate-Covered Pretzels (Soy, Fish, Nut and Egg-Free, Can Be Milk and Wheat-Free)



Welcome to the fourth day of
The 12 Days of Christmas {Goodies} link-up,
brought to you by Natural and Free and Glued to My Crafts! 

At the end of this post (and every post for the full extent of this link-up) you will get the chance to share your Christmas creations with us (details to follow).  And you'll want to share because we have some amazing giveaways  (among other things) planned! And we all know, there's nothing better than a holiday giveaway! :)

Thank you to all who have linked up so far!  37 link-ups (as of this morning) so far!  Wow!  I am so pleased with the participation!   Please keep the Christmas-y links coming!  I'm loving this! :)

If I haven't stopped by to check out your submission, I'll be there ASAP! :)  I can't wait to see what you've shared!

And now *clears throat and begins singing to the tune of The 12 Days of Christmas*:

On the fourth day of  The Christmas {Goodies} link-up, Natural and Free gave to me:

4. Chocolate-Covered Pretzels!

3. Yummy Peppermint Fudge!

2. Cute and festive Pine Cones!

and

1. A recipe for Candied Pecans!


These crunchy, sweet, chocolaty bites of goodness are so easy to make and customize.  I wouldn't say this is unique to me, but I didn't use a recipe.  I just melted some chocolate, dipped some mini pretzel twists and decorated them with what I thought would be yummy. :)  Simple.  I hope you'll have fun creating your own unique flavor combos.

These pretzels are soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), fish, nut (if you don't use any) and egg-free, and can be milk and wheat-free (see variations).

Chocolate-Covered Pretzels
1 package soy-free chocolate chips
(I recommend Enjoy Life which is also dairy-free, but you can use any chocolate that fits your dietary needs)

1 bag soy-free mini pretzel twists (I recommend Snyder's)

  1. Using a double boiler (I use a metal bowl on top of a pot of water on top of the stove at about medium to medium-high heat), melt the chocolate until fully melted, stirring occasionally, and then remove the double boiler from the heat.  (Note: I do not recommend using the microwave to melt the chocolate as in using the double boiler method allows you to melt the whole package of chocolate while still keeping it warm so it stays fluid for you (you can keep the chocolate in the bowl over the hot water while dipping), but feel free to microwave your chocolate if it's easier for you.  I would recommend melting the chocolate in smaller batches, though, if using the microwave.)
       
  2. Place a pretzel onto a fork and then scoop up some of the melted chocolate with a spoon and cover the pretzel fully with chocolate, shaking off the excess chocolate before transferring the pretzel to waxed paper to dry before serving.
Makes about 70 chocolate-covered mini twists.




That's it!  Easy right?  Now for the creative part.

Variations:
  • Milk-free: Use a dairy-free chocolate like Enjoy Life.
      
  • Wheat-free: Use gluten-free pretzels (I recommend Snyder's Gluten Free pretzels) or potato chips (I recommend Lay's) instead.  Make sure that whatever substitution you use meets all your allergen needs.
       
  • Different Pretzel Sizes: You can also use another size pretzel like rods or nuggets and dip all or just part of the pretzel.  Just make sure your choice reflects your allergen needs.
      
  • Other Types of Coatings: You can use another type of chocolate (i.e. white or milk chocolate) or a mix of a few, just let each layer dry before using another type of chocolate.  You can even dip in one flavor and (when it's dry) drizzle another flavor or 2 of melted chocolate over top.  You could even use butterscotch chips or peanut butter chips or mint chips.  You can get as creative as you like!  Just make sure that whatever chocolate(s) or coatings you use fit your dietary needs.
      
  • Decorated Chocolate-Covered Pretzels:  Immediately after you've dipped your pretzels and before they dry, you can sprinkle the tops of your pretzels with any number of toppings (keeping in mind your allergen needs, of course) such as:
coconut


colored sugar

cinnamon


sprinkles


crushed candy cane (I recommend Bob's)

slivered almonds or other nuts chopped into itty bitty pieces


The possibilities are endless with these little guys! :)
Have fun experimenting and please leave me a comment about which flavor you'd make, which flavor is your favorite or which flavor you would love to try!  I'd love to hear about it! :)




***
Now it's your turn!



Grab your badge here!
(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)
  

8 comments:

  1. Hi Julie! Thanks for inviting me over to such a fun link-up! I added my Double Layer Peppermint Bark. Have a great holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you came over! :) Thank you so much for linking it up, too! Looks divine!

      Have a great holiday, yourself, and please stop by again any time. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Yummy pretzels. They are so tempting. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, I'd love some pretzels! YUM. My boys would love this! Got it tweeted and pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a big hit at the parties I've taken them to! :) I'm a sucker for chocolate-covered pretzels!

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Look forward to joining up again next week. :)

      Delete
  4. Your pretzels look beautiful! Thanks for all the great tips. I have a ton of Glutino pretzels to use up and I know my family will love these.
    -Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! I hope these work well for you! :)

      Take care, Dana, and have a very Merry Christmas!

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)