NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, December 3, 2012

12 Days of Christmas {Goodies}: Peppermint Fudge (Soy, Fish, Wheat, Nut and Egg-Free, Can Be Milk-Free)



Welcome to the third day of
The 12 Days of Christmas {Goodies} link-up,
brought to you by Natural and Free and Glued to My Crafts! 

At the end of this post (and every post for the full extent of this link-up) you will get the chance to share your Christmas creations with us (details to follow).  And you'll want to share because we have some amazing giveaways  (among other things) planned! And we all know, there's nothing better than a holiday giveaway! :)

Thank you to all who have linked up so far!  There are some amazing things here, folks!  Please take the time to visit some of them. 

If I haven't stopped by to check out your submission, I'll be there ASAP! :)  I can't wait to see what you've shared!

And now *clears throat and begins singing purposely a bit off-key to the tune of The 12 Days of Christmas*:

On the third day of  The Christmas {Goodies} link-up, Natural and Free gave to me:

3. Yummy Peppermint Fudge!

2. Cute and festive Pine Cones!

and

1. A recipe for Candied Pecans!


This is a modified recipe of one I found on allrecipes.com as shared by BOOK_WORM.  It takes a little more effort, but it is SO worth it!  I would highly recommend using the candy thermometer for it, but I made it without one with success, so it is not mandatory. :) 

This minty, sweet, melt-in-your-mouth, chocolaty goodness is soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), fish, wheat, nut and egg-free, and can be milk-free (see variations)!  It doesn't get much better than that!

Peppermint Fudge
2 Cups white sugar

1/2 Cup cocoa powder

1 Cup milk

dash of salt

4 Tablespoons full-fat, salted butter

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon soy-free, gluten-free peppermint extract

1/3 to 1/2 Cup crushed, soy-free, gluten-free candy canes (for decorating)
(I recommend Bob's)

  1. Grease an 8x8 square baking pan and set aside.
      
  2. Combine sugar, cocoa powder, milk and salt in a medium saucepan, stirring to blend well before turning on the heat to medium and bringing to a boil, stirring constantly.
      
  3. Once the mixture has started to boil, reduce to heat to medium-low and DO NOT STIR.
      
  4. Allow the mixture to simmer until the mixture is 238oF via candy thermometer. (Note: If you are not using a thermometer, then allow it to simmer until a drop of the mixture in a cup of ice water forms a soft ball. IMPORTANT: Feel the ball with your fingers to make sure it is the right consistency.  It should flatten when pressed between your fingers.  This takes anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes or so depending on conditions (i.e. humidity).)
      
  5. Remove the mixture from the heat and add the butter, vanilla and peppermint extracts and wait for the butter to melt before beating the mixture with a wooden spoon until it loses its sheen; DO NOT UNDER BEAT! (Note: This process can take anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes or so.  If you have undercooked your fudge slightly, it takes the longer time, and I recommend using a mixer to do the job to save your arm.)
      
  6. At this point you can do one of 3 things:
    • Just pour the mixture into the pan and sprinkle the top with your desired amount of crushed candy canes and allow to cool before serving.
    • Mix in part of your crushed candy canes, pour the mixture into the pan and then decorate with the remainder of the crushed candy canes and allow to cool before serving.
    • Mix in all the crushed candy canes you wish to use, pour the mixture into the pan and allow to cool before serving.
    (Note: If your fudge is having trouble getting as firm as you like, place it into the freezer to finish setting up.)
      
  7. When ready to serve, cut into 1 inch square pieces (approximately 64 pieces).  
Variations:
  • Milk-Free:  Use a dairy-free butter for the butter and a dairy-free milk for the milk (I recommend using brands like SoDelicious or Earth Balance).  Just make sure all your substitutions fit your allergen needs!
      
  • Other Flavors: You could omit the peppermint extract and peppermint candy canes and enjoy a plain fudge or you could substitute the peppermint extract with any other type that you want (i.e. almond, strawberry, lemon, coconut) and garnish the top and/or mix in an appropriate substitute for the peppermint candy canes (i.e. almonds, strawberry candy cane pieces, lemon zest, coconut flakes) if desired.   Just make sure that your substitutions fit your dietary needs!






***



Now it's your turn!



Grab your badge here!

(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! It is heavenly if you love chocolate and peppermint like I do! :) Just melts in your mouth. YUM!

      Delete
  2. {Melinda} Oh my goodness, Peppermint Fudge?? Heavenly!! I just told Kathy this morning, I'm in mood for some Christmas baking. This sounds like a winner. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It can be a bit tricky to make fudge like this, but soooo worth it! If you do try making it, I hope you adore it! :)

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. YUM! That looks good. Who doesn't love peppermint & fudge together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea! No one human I'd say! LOL :)

      (If you're reading this and don't like them together...well, I'm sorry! It's one of my favorite combos, and I guess I'm a bit biased. Forgive me?)

      Thanks for stopping by, Stacey! :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like the theme for the day must be chocolate peppermint candy?! ;) Your fudge recipe looks tasty.
    I see you're also a fan of So Delicious and Earth Balance - our refrigerators must be stocked with all the same ingredients.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must be the theme! LOL :) Thank you for the compliment!

      I don't stock up on either of those because I don't need to (no food allergies here (that we know of), just some intolerances), but I know what I'm buying if the need arises! These are excellent products.

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. Stopping by from SITS... What a great idea to do yummy post for the 12 days of Christmas. I wish I would have thought of it. BTW I just love Strait no Chaser!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! Always nice to meet a fellow SITStah. :)

      I'm in love with Straight No Chaser, too! :) Just blows my mind how well they harmonize. Just awesome!

      Delete
  6. YUM, I love peppermint and I love fudge so I know I'd love them together! Got it tweeted and pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! :) Thanks for tweeting and pinning and commenting! :)

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)