NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, March 14, 2020

Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Muffins (Milk, Wheat, Fish, Nut-Free, Can Be Egg and Soy-Free)


Since I have 2 kids that can only have gluten-free items, I make all my baked goods gluten-free (with very few exceptions).  Because I, and my family, adore muffins, that is one of the gluten-free treats I tend to make most often.  I try to keep coming up with new flavors to mix things up, and this is one of the flavors that I make that is always a big hit - chocolate chip.

I decided (just today, actually) that I wanted to try my hand at making these muffins dairy-free as well as gluten-free (I normally make them with milk and butter).  The results?  Just as yummy, and now even more allergy-friendly!  Now they are milk, wheat, fish, and nut-free (if all your ingredients are), and can be egg and soy-free (see variations).  Woot!

If you are a fan of chocolate chips and muffins and need a gluten-free and dairy-free recipe, this one is for you!

Note: The gluten-free baking mix I recommend does not technically contain soy, but it does contain xanthan gum (see "Soy-Free" under variations for more details) which can cause issues for people with soy sensitivities or allergies, and that is why I will not claim that this recipe is soy-free.


Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Muffins

1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil

1 Cup white sugar
(We always use cane sugar.)

3 eggs

1/2 Cup water

2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract

1 3/4 Cup gluten-free baking mix 
(We recommend and use King Arthur Flour's Gluten-Free Baking Mix, and yes, it has to be a baking mix, NOT a gluten-free flour or the recipe will not turn out right)

1 Cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
(Mini chips, dark chocolate chips or chunks are all fine - use your favorite.  You can also use another dairy-free/top 8 free chocolate chip of choice.)


  1. Preheat oven to 350oF.
      
  2. Prepare muffin tins with 12-18 paper cups.
       
  3. In a large bowl, cream the oil and sugar until well blended.
      
  4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing until just incorporated between each addition.
      
  5. In a separate bowl or large liquid measuring cup, combine the water and vanilla.
      
  6. In another separate bowl, combine the baking mix and chocolate chips.

  7. Alternate adding the chocolate chip/gluten-free baking mix mixture and the vanilla water, about 1/3 of each at a time, to the oil and sugar mixture until all ingredients are added.  (Note: Make sure the ingredients are just mixed in after each addition like you did with the eggs.  You want the ingredients evenly distributed, but not over-beaten.)
      
  8. Evenly distribute the muffin mixture between the 12-18 muffin cups. (Note: You'll want the paper cups filled between 1/2 and 2/3 full.  Depending which amount you go with will determine how many cupcakes you get.)
      
  9. Bake the muffins for about 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
      
  10. Let the muffins sit in the pan for about 5 minutes before removing them from the pan and allowing them to finish cooling on the counter or a wire rack.
      
  11. Enjoy still warm or completely cooled.
Makes 12 to 18 cupcakes.



Variations (Please keep your individual dietary needs in mind when using variations):
  • Egg-Free: Use an egg replacer in place of the eggs.  For ideas on what to use in place of the eggs, check out my ingredient substitutions page.  The flax seed "egg" or applesauce replacement would be a good fit with these cupcakes.
       
  • Soy-Free: King Arthur Flour's Gluten-Free Baking Mix does not claim to contain soy, but it does contain xanthan gum, which can cause issues with people who have soy sensitivities and allergies, and hence the reason I won't claim this recipe is soy-free already.  You can use another soy-free baking mix (if you can have wheat/gluten) or soy-free, gluten-free baking mix of your choice.  Keep in mind that if your baking mix doesn't contain guar gum or xanthan gum, you may need to add between 3/4 to 3 teaspoons of ground flax seed, guar gum or xanthan gum to help with textural issues, too.  You'll have to make sure all your ingredients are soy-free, too.

So chocolatey!  So good!

Yum!

Have a great weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)