NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Simple Summer Salad (Soy, Wheat, Fish and Egg-Free, Can Be Milk and Nut-Free)


I have made it a personal goal to share more seasonal recipes with you, and I am finding that I enjoy it a lot.  It has stretched me as a cook/baker and has been a lot of fun and helped us eat healthier, too.  Triple win! :)

Today's seasonal offering is a Simple Summer Salad that I hope you will enjoy as much as my hubby and I did!  I made it sans dressing, but if you are looking for one for it, the Sweet Vinaigrette posted with my Strawberry Spinach Salad would be lovely, though it really can stand on its own without it.  It has pears and dried cherries, walnuts and Swiss cheese...It is a perfect combination of sweet and salty, crunchy and chewy.  It was an instant hit with the hubster without dressing, and that's saying something because he never eats salad without dressing!  *silent cheer*

I am sure there are probably similar recipes like this one out there, but I did not use anyone else's recipe as a guide or anything, so I feel safe claiming this one as my own.  It is soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), wheat, fish and egg-free and can be milk and nut-free (see variations).

Now, without further adieu...The recipe!

 ~*~*~*~


Simple Summer Salad

romaine lettuce, chopped or torn into bite-sized pieces

baby or regular spinach, chopped or torn into bite-sized pieces

fresh pears, chopped into bite-sized pieces
(I used Bartlett, but whatever you like will work)

soy-free dried cherries
(Check labels well on this!  I was able to find them, but it took some searching.)

walnut pieces

shredded Swiss cheese

  1. Toss desired amounts of each ingredient in a large bowl until well mixed together and either serve immediately or keep in the fridge until ready to serve.  (Note: All ingredients are to taste and depend on how many you want to serve, that's why no amounts are given. This recipe can feed 1 to 100+ easily.  I recommend using no more than 1/2 the amount of spinach as you do romaine, though, and starting with handfuls of the cherries, walnuts and cheese and adding more as needed.  I would also start with one pear and add more as desired, as well.)
Variations (Please keep your individual allergen needs in mind when using substitutions/additions!):
  • Milk-Free: Omit the cheese or use a dairy-free cheese.
       
  • Nut-Free: If you can have pecans, you can use them in place of the walnuts.  If you can have seeds, you can use your favorite (i.e. sunflower or pumpkin) in place of the walnuts.  You can also eat this salad without nuts.
        
  • Substitute Fruit or More Fruit/Veggies: You could easily substitute or add other summer fruits in here such as raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, even oranges or grapefruit - whatever you like.  You could also add more veggies like carrots, radishes, celery, green onions, broccoli, etc. if you wished.  Add or omit as you like.
      
  • Other Cheese:  If you do not like Swiss, by all means, use another type.  Cheddar, especially sharp cheddar, would be fantastic in this.  We have a cheese called Pinconning here, and it would be lovely in here, too.  If you're a fan of bleu cheese or goat cheese, that would probably be a good fit here as well.
       
  • Add Some Meat:  My hubby is a meat guy, and normally wants meat on his salads.  He added some diced ham to his and enjoyed it a lot!  You could also had crumbled back, turkey, chicken - whatever you think would taste good.
      
  • Add Some Salad Dressing:  As I mentioned before the Sweet Vinaigrette posted with my Strawberry Spinach Salad would be lovely on this, but you could also use another sweet vinaigrette, vinegar and oil dressing or even just balsamic vinegar or a raspberry vinaigrette would be great, too.


As you can see, this salad is very versatile (which I love in recipes and love to share with you).  You'll be sure to find a winning combo in this Simple Summer Salad any way you put it together!
~*~*~*~
What's your favorite summer recipe?
Do you prefer salads or BBQ when it's hot out?
What do you do to beat the heat?



(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

6 comments:

  1. I love, love, love salads and am always looking for a new one! This is perfect!! Love fruits in a salad!! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too, Lisa! Love me a good salad! I am always on the look-out for new salad recipes, too, and have found that I also enjoy fruit in my salad very much. Great minds think alike! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a very tasty salad. I love throwing dried fruit and nuts into any salad I make - a terrific nutritional boost. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! Me, too! :) Fruit and nuts in salad is so tasty!

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. Yum! Maybe I can try this recipe so my boys will eat a salad. I think they would like the fruit and nuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth the shot! :) I hope they like it and maybe be transformed into salad eaters with it. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)