NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, May 4, 2013

{Guest Post} Ditching Diabetes


Awhile back, I received an email from a woman who asked if she could share an article about how to ditch diabetes with you all, and I told her that would be great!  She originally submitted the article to be used for March, but (since I already had guests lined up) I couldn't use it until now.  I think the information is invaluable and worth the read, though, no matter what month it is. 

My maternal grandfather suffered from type 2 diabetes for several years before cancer claimed his life, my grandmother suffers from type 2 now, I have several friends and other family members with either diabetes (type 1 and 2) or (like my middle kid) hypoglycemia or even borderline low blood sugar (like me).  As you can see, this is a subject I am passionate about, too, and I hope you will join me in welcoming my friend and leaving her some comment love below for taking the time to share this important information with us.
Please welcome
 Carolyn of Full-On Fit!

Carolyn is a 20-something year old with a passion for life, fitness and overall well-being.  She is an avid cycler, golfer and has been known to bust some serious moves on the dance floor.  Check out Carolyn’s blog at Full-On Fit!


***


I can’t help but wonder if the designation of March as National Nutrition Month came as a result of the overwhelming decline in motivation to keep New Year’s resolutions as the year progressed.  So many people begin the year with the best intentions of clean eating and daily exercise.  Sadly, most of those same people have thrown in the towel before spring has even sprung.


Healthy habits are not birthed out of a once a year goal.  Rather, they are the result of a change in lifestyle cultivated from daily decisions and behaviors.

I recently committed to walk alongside my family in the battle for better health after one of my 13-year old cousins was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.  Her diagnosis and ongoing struggle gave me pause to consider what I could do to help my family wage war against this all-too-prevalent disease.


Clean Eating:
1. Limit processed foods

So many packaged foods are laden with chemicals and preservatives these days.  I try to keep my meals consisting of fewer and fresher ingredients.  Nowadays, I try to live by the mantra, “if it’s not fresh enough to go bad in 1-2 weeks, don’t eat it.”


2. Go organic whenever possible

Though eating organic is more expensive, organic foods are much higher in nutrition and lower in pesticides.   Consult the “dirty dozen” list to see which foods are highest in pesticide content.


3. Shop in season

Seasonal foods are fresher and often less expensive than their greenhouse counterparts.


4. Serve salad as a staple

A word of caution regarding salad dressing: this is where fat and calories often hide.  If your family can’t live without their favorite dressing, encourage them to dip their fork into a small side of dressing before spearing the salad.  This will drastically cut overall fat and calories.  Here is a great and healthy salad dressing you can make right in your own kitchen:

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup honey
½ tsp minced garlic
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper

Mix all ingredients and drizzle over salad.  Yum!


Fitness Fixes:
1. Clean aggressively

Make daily chores part of your regular workout.  Try vacuuming with more gusto or blast some tunes and dance around while you dust!


2. Rake, jump, repeat!

Enlist your kids to help you rake the yard.  After piles are made, take turns jumping in them.  You’ll burn double the calories as you rake and play.


3. Go the extra mile

When shopping, park your car in the farthest possible space from the door to get in some extra steps.


4. Group it

Try group fitness classes or enlist your friends to workout with you.  Social support provides both motivation and accountability.  Some great classes we like to do are Zumba and Yoga.  Doctors from Syracuse’s Orthopedic Center explain how yoga can benefit all kinds of people by increasing flexibility, balance, joint health, bone health, posture, and even the ability to regulate stress and emotions.


***
You can connect with Carolyn at the following locations:


***


Thanks again for joining us, Carolyn!

Here's your badge, if you'd like to use it.





For more information on Diabetes and what you can do to help raise awareness, become an advocate and/or help find a cure, please contact the American Diabetes Association.

(This post was originally posted on my original site, Fibro, Fit and Fab!)

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic post with really, really great suggestions. Dipping your fork is KEY with salads for me. I can't believe how much less dressing I consume, but without feeling like I've given up any taste. It's like magic!! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thirteen is so young! It's wonderful that the entire family is being supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. {Melinda} Such great tips ... I try to do the healthy, clean eating thing, but I'm terrible about fitness. I put out my back last week and it was a wakeup call. I need to exercise, so that these things are less likely to happen. Regardless of our health status, we can't take our health for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all, for stopping by and commenting! Thank you, too, Carolyn, for being a guest! You shared some excellent, helpful tips! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)