NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Orange Cranberry Muffins (Soy, Fish and Nut-Free, Can Be Egg, Wheat and Milk-Free)


One of my favorite combinations of all times is orange and cranberry.  It's bright and cheery, sweet and tart...It reminds me of the holidays and summertime all at once.  It's just a classic combo that will always be a winner in my book.
Despite my love for the combination, I have never had a good orange and cranberry muffin recipe...until now.  This recipe is a modification of one I found on allrecipes.com as submitted by Carol.  If you like cranberry and orange together like I do, then you'll LOVE these. :)
This recipe is soy-free (if you use all soy-free ingredients), fish and nut-free, and can be egg, wheat and milk-free (see variations).

Orange Cranberry Muffins
2 Cups soy-free flour (all-purpose, but white whole wheat would be fine)
(I recommend King Arthur brand)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
2 Cups cranberries (fresh or sweetened dried (such as Craisins) or a combination of the two)
1/4 Cup salted, full-fat butter, softened
1 Cup white sugar
1 egg
1 Cup orange juice

  1. Preheat the oven to 350oF.
  2. Grease or line muffin tins with paper cups.  (Note: This recipe makes 12-18 muffins.)
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined well. (Note: Amount of salt is based on personal preference.)
  4. Stir in cranberries and set aside. (Note: If you use all fresh cranberries, the muffins will be VERY tart.  If you use all sweetened dried cranberries, the recipe will be much sweeter.  If you like a sweet/tart experience, use 1 Cup fresh cranberries and 1 Cup sweetened dried.  That's the combination I like best for this particular muffin.)
  5. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and egg until smooth.
  6. Stir orange juice into the creamed butter mixture.
  7. Beat the flour mixture into the orange juice mixture just until moistened.  (Note: Resist the urge to over mix!  Less is more when it comes to making muffins light and fluffy.)
  8. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center muffin comes out clean.
Variations:
  • Wheat-free: Use a gluten-free flour (such as King Arthur's gluten-free flour) in place of the regular flour.  You may also have to add up to 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum or ground flaxseed to help with texture issues.  Make sure that any ingredients you substitute or add fit your particular allergen needs.
  • Egg-free: Use one of the suggestions listed on this blog to make your recipe egg-free.  Make sure that any ingredients you use fit your particular allergen needs.
  • Milk-free: Use canola or olive oil in place of the butter or use a dairy-free butter like Earth Balance.  Make sure that any ingredients you use fit your particular allergen needs.

These muffins are delicious fresh from the oven or completely cooled.  They'd be great for breakfast, as a side-dish where you want a fun and festive alternative to rolls or for a late night snack!  YUM! :)


(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

14 comments:

  1. This seems like an easy bake! I can do this and I love the taste of orange and cranberry as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      They are easy - I love me some easy recipes. :) Those are my favorite type. I hope you enjoy these when you make them, and that you'll let me know how they turn out for you. :)

      Take care!

      Delete
  2. These sound like a gorgeous combination. I plan to give them a try sometime soon!
    I'm a new follower from Thursday Obsessions. I hope you can pop by my blog sometime and follow if you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I hope you like them when you make them. You'll have to let me know!

      I will stop by your blog and check it out. Thanks for the invite. :)

      Delete
  3. I truly enjoy how you offer recipe variations for the other allergens. This is just brilliant! I'm going to give those muffins a whirl!

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the compliment and for stopping by! :) I appreciate it so very much.

      I hope you enjoy the muffins. They are, by far, my favorite so far. :)

      Delete
  4. I know I'm late (busy weekend) but thank you girl for linking this up last week. And thank you again for the guest post today. Hope to see on the linkup again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for allowing me the opportunity! I'll have to return the favor some time. :)

      I'm looking forward to linking up again this week for sure! :D

      Delete
  5. YUM, this combo sounds awesome!! Got it tweeted and pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite combo, hands down, when I want something fruity and festive! :) Thanks for stopping by and for showing some comment love. :D

      Delete
  6. This recipe sounds yummy and easy too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Julie - 5 lovely links for Food on Friday! Yay! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, too, Carole! :)

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment!

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)