NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Glazed Cinnamon Rolls (Soy, Fish and Nut-Free, Can Be Milk-Free)


I am a huge fan of cinnamon rolls.  They are warm and gooey, delicious and sweet and remind me of my childhood.  They are wonderful on a cold morning and never cease to make me smile, so they are worth the effort it takes to make them from scratch.  Really.  Especially this recipe.

This recipe is a modified version of one I found on Allrecipes.com by Paula S.   It's relatively simple, though it does take a little time.  They are best eaten hot and fresh, so I recommend making them for a holiday breakfast or brunch when you'll have enough people around to polish off these delicious treats.  The recipe makes 12 generous portions which could easily stretch to 24 if you cut them in half, though they could just as easily shrink to 6 portions or less if you're feeling particularly gluttonous. :)

This recipe is soy-free (if you use all soy-free ingredients), fish and nut-free, and it can be milk-free (see variations).  You could make them wheat/gluten-free and/or egg-free if you want to try out some substitutions, but since I'm not sure how that would work out with this particular recipe, I'm not going to add those options to my variations.  If you do try it, let me know how they turn out!  I'd love to know! :)

Glazed Cinnamon Rolls

Roll Portion:
3/4 Cup milk


1/4 Cup full-fat, salted butter

3 1/4 Cups all-purpose, soy-free flour (I use King Arthur brand)
(If you'd like to use whole wheat, you can, though I'd recommend using a white whole wheat.)

2 1/2 teaspoon instant yeast (I recommend Red Star)

1/4 Cup white sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 Cup water (warm preferred)

1 egg
  
  1. Heat the milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles; remove from heat.

  2. Add butter to the milk; stir until melted and set aside.

  3. In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 1/4 Cups flour, yeast, sugar and salt; mix well.

  4. Add water, egg and the milk mixture to the flour mixture; beat well.  (Note: A wooden spoon works best.)

  5. Add the remaining flour, 1/2 Cup at a time, stirring well after each addition. (Note: You might have to start using your hands at this point, so make sure they are extra clean. :) )

  6. When the dough has just pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. (Note: This takes anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes, but suppress the urge to over-knead!  Your rolls will turn out tough.  You're better off under-kneading than over-kneading any day, so stop when the dough is starting to look smooth, not completely smooth.)

  7. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for 10 minutes.

  8. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the filling portion (listed below) until well-blended.

    Filling Portion:
    1/2 Cup brown sugar (packed)

    1/2 Cup white sugar

    1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon

    1/2 Cup full-fat, salted butter (softened)

  9. After 10 minutes has elapsed, roll out the dough into a 12x9 rectangle.

  10. Spread the cinnamon/sugar/butter mixture onto the dough. (Note: This is best done with a knife or the back of a spoon.)

  11. Roll up the dough so that you have a 12 inch "rope" and pinch the seam to seal.

  12. Cut the dough rope into 12 equal sized rolls and place them cut side up into a 9 x 13 pan. (Note: You don't have to grease the pan, but you certainly can if you wish.)

  13. Cover the pan with a damp towel and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. (Note: If you don't have a warm spot in your house to do this, put your oven on the lowest setting it can go (this is generally in the low to mid 200s) and place the covered rolls in the oven to rise.  This works beautifully for me!)

  14. Preheat the over to 375oF.

  15. Bake the rolls for approximately 30 minutes, or until golden browned. (Note: Do NOT over-bake!  They'll be as hard as rocks.  You want light golden brown, not deep golden brown.  Think the color you want your pizza crust or rolls to look when they are done.)

  16. While the rolls are baking, prepare the glaze portion:
     
    Glaze Portion:
    1/4 Cup full-fat, salted butter (softened)

    2 Cups confectionery sugar

    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

    Pinch of salt
     
    2 Tablespoons milk

    Mix butter, sugar, vanilla and salt until well-blended before adding the milk. The mixture should be thick, but if you find it too stiff, add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, until it is the right consistency.
  17. When the rolls are done, remove them from the oven and glaze them immediately.

  18. Serve warm.
As I said before, these are best fresh and warm.  If you do happen to have left-overs, warm them up in the microwave or oven before re-serving.

Variations:
  • Milk-free:  Use a dairy-free milk and dairy-free butter (such as Earth Balance and SoDelicious brands) and cook as directed.  Be sure that the brand you choose is soy-free  or this recipe will no longer be soy-free.
  • Orange-Glazed Cinnamon Rolls: Use Orange Juice in place of the milk in the glaze portion.  You can omit the vanilla or not; your choice.  If you want extra orange flavor, you can also use orange juice in place of the water in the roll portion.
  • Cream Cheese-Glazed Cinnamon Rolls: If you prefer a cream cheese frosting, you may substitute it for the glaze listed, just note that that will negate the soy-free status of this recipe.

  


(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

16 comments:

  1. These look delicious! Perfect for tomorrow morning, as it will finally be chilly enough to stay indoors where I live! Question...You recommend Red Star Yeast. I was wondering if Fleischmann's Yeast is okay for a soy restricted diet. That's the only one I've found at my supermarket. It's ingredients are as follows: "Yeast, Sorbitan Monostearate, Ascorbic Acid."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you enjoy them. :)

      That yeast is soy-free from what I've been told. I just happen to prefer the other.

      Delete
  2. MMM these look amazing. I love cinnamon rolls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I love cinnamon rolls, too. These are great, but I might be biased. :)

      Delete
  3. These look wonderful. My mom used to make homemade cinnamon rolls around the holidays. One of my favorite memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's normally when we'd have cinnamon rolls or butterscotch rolls. Some of my favorite memories, too. :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Yum! Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Sharefest. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You, too! Thanks for stopping by! Happy Sharefest! :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you! :) They are quite wonderful, if I do say so myself. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Julie! Reading your post made me remember YEARS AGO, when I tried (numerous times) to make cinnamon rolls... they were a flop! I have no idea what I did wrong, but they just weren't up to par. I can admit that I'm not much of a baker, although I'm a doggone good cook.

    It's kind of funny, when I think back on all of my attempts to make them. I just realized... no wonder they were just so-so. I didn't frost them! Can you believe that? I tried making them when I was in high school. It's a long story about why no one said anything about the frosting, but I want you to know that I just realized that, just now! Wow.

    I want you to know that I'm bookmarking this page. I'll buy the ingredients and try making them again one day, with your help. And I'll be sure to let you know how things turn out.

    Blessings to you, Julie...
    I love your spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, Carlo! Thank you for stopping by!

      I hope your newest attempt at making cinnamon rolls is a huge success! :) Frosting and glaze can make a whole world of difference, that's for sure!

      Take care, Carlo, and I look forward to hearing how those cinnamon rolls turn out...whenever you get around to making them. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh...these sound well-worth my entire Gluten Challenge!!! Soooo making these very soon...will def post a pic and link back to you when I do! =) Thank you, Julie!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maya! I look forward to reading about it! I wish you the best of luck on your challenge and the test to come. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

      Delete
  8. These look delicious and my little granddaughter is soy allergic, so these would be perfect for Christmas morning. Can they be prepared the night before, refrigerated and cooked the next morning? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should be able to, yes. You can do up to step 12, and do the rest in the morning. Know, though, that the 30 minute rise before you bake in step 13 will probably take an hour or so because they will be cold. Does that make sense? I wish you all the best, and hope they turn out beautifully for you! :)

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)