NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Berry Bran Muffins (Soy, Fish, Nut, Egg and Milk-Free)


So, it is nearing the end of summer *sob*, but (if you're like me) you have some yummy summer berries to use up and you're wondering what to do with them.  Well, how about making some super simple Berry Bran Muffins that are soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), fish, nut, egg and milk-free?  Allergy-friendly, full of fruit and fiber and delicious, too.  I promise, your kids will love these!  My boys ate 2 each without coaxing!  Seriously!  That's what I call a winning recipe! :)

This is a recipe that I came up with on my own.  It is a variant of my Cereal Muffins.  I am working on a wheat/gluten-free variation and when I have it right, I will share it. :)


Berry Bran Muffins
4 Cups soy-free bran flakes or All Bran type cereal

1 1/2 to 2 Cups mashed/pureed strawberries
(that's after mashing/pureeing - 2 to 4 Cups before mashing)

1 Cup water

1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil

2 Cups soy-free whole wheat flour (I recommend King Arthur Flour brand)

1/2 Cup sugar
2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1 Cup fresh blueberries
1 Cup fresh red raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 400oF.
     
2. Mix bran flakes/All Bran, mashed/pureed strawberries, water and oil until well-blended.
     
3. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon (if using), and mix well.  (Note: Amount of salt is based on personal preference.  I like the cinnamon in this recipe, but if you are not a fan, by all means, leave it out.)
    
4. Gently stir in the blueberries and raspberries until the berries are well-incorporated into the batter.
     
5. Line muffin tins with 24 to 30 paper cups or grease with olive oil.
     
6. Fill cups 2/3 or so full.
     
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center muffin comes out clean.
    
Makes 24 to 30 muffins. 
Note: These muffins are good warm, but best cold.  If you taste them warm and are not sold, wait to try them again when they are cold, even the next day before you give up on them.  You will be glad you did! :)

Variations (Please keep your individual allergen needs in mind when using substitutions)!:
  • All One Type of Berry or Different Berries/Fruits:  You can use all one type of fruit if you wish for this recipe or a different combo if you wish.  You could use raspberry and peach, all blueberry, all raspberry, raspberry and blackberry, strawberry and banana...The possibilities are endless!  Just don't use more than 1 1/2 to 2 Cups mashed fruit and 2 Cups fresh fruit.  You could even add raisins or other dried fruit for the fresh fruit if you wanted.
      
  • Add Nuts/Seeds: If you like nuts or seeds and can have them, you could certainly add them to this muffin.  Almonds, pecans, walnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, poppy seeds, etc. would all work.  I would, however, make sure that your amount of fresh fruit and nuts/seeds does not exceed 2 Cups.
       
  • Less Fruit: You can cut the amount of fresh fruit to 1 Cup or leave that part out entirely if you wish.
       
  • Different Oil: If you cannot tolerate olive oil, you can substitute canola oil, corn oil, coconut oil or any other oil that fits within your dietary needs.


These muffins are wonderfully moist, slightly tart (depending on how sweet your berries are) and not too heavy like some other bran muffins can be.
They are sure to please!

What is your favorite muffin?



(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

4 comments:

  1. I love muffins! I haven't made them in so long, but I don't know why! Now I have no excuses! The kids will be SO happy! Yay!! --Lisa

    Ps. I'm so glad you put the difference between the measurements of pureed fruit vs not yet mashed. It's stuff like that that ALWAYS trips me up and feel like I don't know what I should be doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! That's why I put it in there, Lisa. I have had some flops due to it not being marked if the amount of fruit is before or after the mashing! I was not a happy gal! :) I decided I didn't want you all to have to wonder! :D

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. we love the warmth of a plateful of muffins for breakfast, these look so delicious...makes us want to try this recipe out now, thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I love me some muffins, too! If you do try this recipe out, I hope you love it!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)