NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, July 29, 2013

Dad's Chocolate Chip Cookies (Milk, Soy, Nut and Fish-Free, Can Be Wheat and Egg-Free)


Dad's Chocolate Chip Cookies made in a double batch using mini chips and chocolate chunks
My dad has recently developed some food allergies that have radically changed his eating habits and eating style.  One of the things that I helped my mom come up with from him, after scouring the net for recipes, was a chocolate chip cookie recipe that did not contain soy or dairy.   Let me tell you, not such an easy feat!  Anyway, I was able to find a site that talked about subbing olive oil for the butter and what amount to use, and we went from there.   Let me tell you, our results were great! 

These cookies bake up kinda like soft batch cookies you get from the store (you know the ones I mean), but are so much better for you!  I use olive or corn oil all the time now to make my cookies even just for my family (though when I make these cookies, I normally make a double batch so Dad can have some).  They are my new favorite chocolate chip cookie! 

These cookies are soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), nut, fish and milk-free, and can be egg and wheat-free (see variations).  Awesome, right?  Trust me, you will WANT to make these - it will change the way you look at chocolate chip cookies for life!
  



Dad's Chocolate Chip Cookies
3/4 Cup white sugar
  
3/4 Cup brown sugar
  
1 teaspoon vanilla
  
2 eggs
  
3/4 Cup olive, corn or canola oil or a combination
   
1 teaspoon salt
   
1 teaspoon baking soda
  
2 1/4 Cups flour
(All-purpose or whole wheat, especially white whole wheat, is fine.  I recommend King Arthur brand.)
  
5 oz. (1/2 bag) Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips or Enjoy Life chocolate chunks or a combination
  1. Preheat oven to 375oF.
        
  2. Cream sugars, vanilla, eggs, oil and salt together in a large mixing bowl.  (Note: Do not skimp on the salt!  You need the full teaspoon to bring out the flavors!)
         
  3. Add the baking soda and blend well.
      
  4. Add the flour, a little at a time, and mix until well-blended. (Note: Dough will be shiny.  This is normal due to the oil.)
        
  5. Mix in the chocolate chips/chunks until evenly distributed. (Note: It takes a bit to work in the chocolate chips/chunks because the dough is slicker due to the oil.  If you wish you can add the chips/chunks at the same time as the flour.  This sometimes help them blend in better.)
       
  6. Roll about a Tablespoon (smaller amount if you want smaller cookies, larger amount if you want bigger cookies) of the dough into a ball by hand and place it onto ungreased baking sheets and bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.  (Note: One of the things I love about this recipe is that the cookies are so easy to roll and they bake up so beautifully round!  They are a great "for show" cookie!  Rolling the dough into a ball also helps stick the chips/chunks to the dough better since they like to try to fall off sometimes.)
          
  7. Remove cookies to wire racks, brown paper or waxed paper to cool.
Makes 3 to 5 dozen, depending on size.

One more note: These cookies are best enjoyed cooled.  They are ok warm, but definitely best completely cool.  I know that is unlike most chocolate chip cookie recipes, but for this one, it is definitely the case.  You will still like them warm, but you will LOVE them cooled.  Trust me. :)

Enjoying mine with milk, but coffee, tea or a non-dairy milk would be awesome, too! :)


Variations (Please keep your individual allergen needs in mind when making variations/using substitutions!):
  • Egg-Free: Use any of these egg substitution ideas here in place of the eggs.   
      
  • Wheat-Free: Use a gluten-free flour (like King Arthur Gluten-Free flour) for the flour. You may need to add up to 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum or ground flax seed to the mix, too, for textural purposes, too.  You can also use a gluten-free flour mix (such as Olivia's Outstanding Multi-Purpose Flour Mix) with success, too. 
      
  • Other Chocolates/Add-Ins: If it fits within your allergen needs and you want to use another type of chocolate (white, milk, dark) or add butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips, M&Ms, toffee bits, dried fruit and/or nuts, etc., please feel free, but don't add more than a Cup of extra add-ins. You can even forgo the chocolate all together and just use butterscotch or peanut butter chips and/or nuts/fruit.  It's all about preference! :)

These cookies are so good, you cannot eat just one!

(FYI, I am working on a Top 8 Free Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe!  When I get it perfected, I will share it with y'all! :) )

What's your favorite cookie?
What's your best cookie baking tip?


(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely ADORE chocolate chip cookies! I am always on the look for a new recipe! I love that this one bakes up nice and round. I don't have many "show cookies" up my sleeve! I could use one!! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the one to have, Lisa! They cook up great and do NOT burn easily. They are definitely a great "show cookie". :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Julie! Love the cookies. Thanks for including the variations. I often have people asking for egg or dairy free recipes, so I shared a link to your blog on my facebook page. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I am glad you can pass the recipe along.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)