NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, October 8, 2012

Mom's Chili (Fish, Soy, Egg, Milk and Nut-Free, Can Be Wheat-Free)


It's that time of year again!  The leaves are changing, the weather is getting colder and flirting with the idea of snow (I know! So cruel!), and you're finding yourself wanting to curl up with a thick blanket and something nice and hot and nostalgic to warm you up from the inside out.  For me, that comfort food is chili, my Mom's chili.  It was one of the relatively inexpensive meals that made a lot, so we had it when we could, especially in the fall and winter.  I can't eat it without smiling, remembering the times we had it with extended family, especially when we'd eat it with my beloved late grandpa who enjoyed it with Sweet N' Low - a German tradition, I am told, which dictated that you are to eat anything with a tomato base sweetened (he was diabetic, so sugar was a no go), though I have not jumped on that bandwagon. :)  It is my hope that this recipe (a slightly modified to be allergy-friendly version of my mom's) will become part of your favorite memories from now until the end of time.

This recipe is soy-free (if you use all soy-free ingredients), egg, fish, milk and nut-free, and can be wheat-free.

Mom's Chili
3 Cans soy-free Chili Beans (I recommend Bush's)
  
1 Can soy-free Pinto Beans (I recommend Bush's)
  
1 Can soy-free Light Red Kidney Beans (I recommend Bush's)
  
1 Can soy-free Dark Red Kidney Beans (I recommend Bush's)
  
1 lb. ground chuck or venison
  
1 package soy-free Chili Seasoning Mix (I recommend McCormick's)
  
1 teaspoon Onion Salt (I recommend McCormick's)
  
1/2 teaspoon Garlic Salt (I recommend McCormick's)
  
4 shakes (or about 1/8 teaspoon) Celery Salt (I recommend McCormick's)
  
4 shakes (or about 1/8 teaspoon) Paprika
  
1 small can soy-free tomato soup
(I recommend Campbell's Tomato (original) because it's soy-free and I like the flavor best, but you can use your favorite soy-free brand or whatever brand if you don't need it to be soy-free)
  
1 can diced tomatoes (large or small can size is your call)
  
1 large can/bottle soy-free Tomato Juice (I recommend Campbell's Tomato Juice (regular))
  
1. Over a large stock pot, drain the chili beans and pinto beans; set the stock pot with the liquid aside and place the drained beans into a large bowl.

2. Drain both cans of kidney beans and discard the liquid, adding the drained beans to the pinto and chili beans and placing them in the fridge until later.

3. In a large frying pan, brown the meat and then drain it before returning it to the frying pan.

4. Add 1/2 to all of the package of chili seasoning (amount based on preference), onion salt, garlic salt, celery salt and paprika to the meat and mix well over medium heat; remove from heat.

5. Transfer the seasoned meat to the stock pot with the reserved bean liquid in it and add 1/2 to all the can of tomato soup, 1/2 to all the can/bottle of tomato juice and the diced tomatoes and bring to a simmer over medium heat; simmer for at least an hour, stirring frequently. (Note: The amount of soup and tomato juice you use is entirely up to you, though I recommend starting with 1/2 the can/bottle of tomato juice and saving the rest until step 6 to see if you want to add more.  Also, the longer it simmers, the better, just make sure you stir it often so it doesn't scorch on the bottom.)

6. Add the beans to the chili about 20 minutes before you are planning on serving it, adding more tomato juice/spices, if needed. (Note: If the chili is too acidic, add a little sugar (a teaspoon at a time) until the desired acid level is reached.)

You can serve this chili as is or add your favorite chili toppings.  Delish! 

Variations:
  • Wheat-free: Leave out the soup and use a gluten-free chili seasoning and gluten-free chili, pinto and kidney beans instead (the kidney and pinto beans should be gluten-free no matter what brand you get, but it is always best to double check).  You can try your hand at making your own chili seasoning, by following a recipe such as this one or buy one such as these.
       
  • Make Ahead: This chili is actually better the next day, so feel free to make it up ahead of time.  Just do steps 1-5, and then after simmering the chili for an hour, add the beans and cook for 20 minutes.  Allow it to cool some, then either transfer it to other containers or keep it in the fridge in the stock pot until ready for use.  It should keep around 3 to 5 days.  Also, you can freeze the finished chili in small batches that you can take out and heat up when you like.  It should keep in the freezer for a few months.
      
  • Vegetarian Chili: Leave out the meat.  Skip steps 3 and 4, adding the seasonings to the stock pot with the liquids and go from there.
(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)



8 comments:

  1. I love chili and this recipe looks great! Sans meat for me of course :) Just voted for you for the TOP 25 :)
    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cindy! :) I've been putting my daily vote in for you as well. :)

      Hope you enjoy the chili. I've not tried it vegetarian style, but I'm sure it would be fantastic.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for linking this up! I love comfort food! I have it tweeted and pinned!

      Delete
    3. Awesome! :) Thanks for stopping by. I'm a big fan of comfort food, too. :)

      Delete
  2. That recipe looks delicious and I love that it's allergy free. My boys have so many food allergies. It's such a challenge sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine! I hope that you like it. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad it's getting close to chilli weather again! I just love homemade soup and chilli! Thanks for this great recipe. I've never tried venison.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Venison is great...if the deer is grain, apple or grass fed. You have to watch out for the pine fed ones (we can get those here). If they aren't butchered properly, they can taste a little piney. Most people like to mix venison with ground chuck 50/50 or so. I've even heard of them going 70/30, mostly being ground chuck. Your first time trying it, I'd recommend a blend of venison and chuck, just so it doesn't overwhelm you. :)

      I hope you enjoy the chili! It always gets rave reviews when we've made it for a group. We make it mild, but you can certainly spice it up. :)

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)