NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, October 19, 2018

Recent Reflections - October 2018: Autumn Splendor




This is the tenth Recent Reflections post of 2018.  Recent Reflections goes live the third Friday or Saturday of each month.  Each Recent Reflections post covers something that I'm reflecting on.  If you'd like to share a post with a similar theme, feel free to leave a comment with a link to your post, and I'll hop on over and leave a comment (and maybe some other readers will, too).

This month, I will be reflecting on autumn in all its glory.


"Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower." - Albert Camus
Autumn is without a doubt my favorite time of the year.  I love the colors, the crunchy leaves, the cooler weather, the cozy sweaters, the fuzzy socks - I just love all the things comfy and cozy and colorful that come with this time of year.  It is this time of year that I feel the absolute fullness of God's love in every sensory form.


I am always amazed that God gave us color to enjoy.  I mean the absolute splendor of autumnal trees - the vivid reds, the hypnotic oranges, and the golden yellows just take my breath away.  God did not have to give us such beauty, but He did.  God loved us so much that He gave us beauty in nature to enjoy all year through, but I think it is at its peak in autumn.

And the smells!  There is something about the smell of autumn.  Maybe it is the apple trees and pumpkin patches, or maybe it is the smell of the leaves or wood smoke from fireplaces, or maybe it is all the baking that tends to happen this time of year (probably to keep the house warm and the heat bill down a bit), but there is just something about all of those delicious aromas that is just relaxing and revitalizing.   It is a treat for the senses, and it makes me realize just how good God is to give us such amazing things to enjoy.


Then there is the feel (and sound) of crunching leaves and frosted ground under your feet.  This is another undeniable pleasure that this time of year brings for me.  There is something just so satisfying about the ability to feel and hear that crunch with each step.  I think I can liken it to popping bubble wrap. :)  How awesome of God to give us His version of bubble wrap to "pop" to help relieve any stresses or help soothe a bad day!  That's love right there, folks.
Have you ever stopped to think about the other sounds of autumn, too?  Brisk winds, rustling leaves, crackling fires - so many different sounds, and they all have a soothing quality.  There is just something about it that is almost hypnotic.  It will soothe your woes and calm your heart.  How wonderful of God to give us a time of year to enjoy sounds that are both indoor and outdoor with equal frequency!

In my opinion, nothing can beat the taste of autumn.  There is something about autumn apples that cannot be beat.  Then there's the pumpkin everything!  Let's not even mention corn, squash, and all the other wonderful things that abound this time of year!  This is a time of plenty and harvest, and you can't help but think of all that God has blessed you with.  It so is easy to feel rich and blessed with so much food around us at the ready, isn't it?  God is so great to give us so much!
I think that all of these things - the visual, the smell, the feel, the sound and the taste of autumn - are why this is the one time of year people venture to my neck of the woods (Northern Lower Michigan) vs. going south.  This is one of the places where you can truly experience all of autumn's splendor at its finest, and that is definitely something you must do at least once in a lifetime.  It makes one appreciate everything that God has given us, and it makes me truly thankful and feel beyond blessed!


I truly hope this post has been a blessing to your heart, or at the least made you stop and think a little.  What has God done in your life lately to bless you?  What are you reflecting on?

Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)