NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Monthly Milestones {7}


Today is my seventh time running my monthly feature where I will be giving you updates on how I am doing physically, mentally, etc. and in which you can link up a post about some form of progress you are making, if you wish (see details below). I am enjoying this, and being publicly accountable (as hard as it is) will and is helping me out tremendously.  I hope you enjoy this link-up as well, will link up something inspiring and share it with others so that we can meet our goals together! :)

Here is how I am doing as of today:


Me as of today, July 5, 2014 at 229 lbs.
Don't you just love the sunburn I got yesterday?  I had sunblock on, but apparently I either missed a few spots or it got rubbed off.  At least it doesn't hurt too much! :)
  1. I've gained another half a pound.  Well, I had hoped to lose, but gained again.  I am back up to 229.  However, I have been comparing pictures over the last 7 months, and I can't complain.  There is definitely a difference for the better.  My clothes are fitting better despite what the scale says, so that's a good thing! :)  Also, my weight actually went up a lot at the beginning of June (I was up to around 235 for a bit), and I've actually lost 6 lbs. this week, so that's a good thing, too.  I am starting to see what I can and cannot eat that affect my weight the most, but I'll share more about that in a bit. :)
      
  2. I've been staying more active!  My hubby and I go for a walk pretty much daily, and it is generally around a half hour or so.  It feels great to get out and walk!  The days we can't get out, I truly miss it.  I am hoping to carry this habit into the fall and winter, though I may not be able to walk as long in the winter time due to cold, but we'll see. :)
     
  3. I'm still working on what I can and can't eat.  This last week, I've cut out all grains, and my tummy is happy.  Since I've also greatly reduced all carbs, I can't say if it is the leaving out of grains that is helping or the lack of sugar or the lack of corn, etc.  I plan on trying a limited amount of grains to see if they are tolerated, but keeping out corn.  If I do ok with the grains, then I will switch to only eating corn and cutting out the other grains and see what happens.  I have continued with dairy and not noticed any issues.  I have, however, noticed that I can only tolerate a small amount (1 to 2 servings daily) of peanuts or peanut products before I start to getting a little bit of an upset tummy.  I do ok with tree nuts, though, at least almonds which is the only tree nut I've tried.  I find that when I do not have the grains in my diet, I can tolerate a small amount of garlic salt or garlic flavor in food, just not raw/cooked garlic.  In time, I hope to have everything sorted, but I know it could take awhile to figure it all out! :)
       
  4. I'm working on reducing the amount of caffiene I consume.  I am working on going from about 2 cups of coffee a day down to 1 or less, and hope to get to the point where I drink mainly decaf, unless I'm dealing with a migraine or stuffiness.  I am doing pretty good with it so far, though there is always a little bit of withdrawal, as those of you who drink any form of caffiene and have tried to cut back or quit know. :)
       
  5. I'm working on reducing the amount and kind of processed/pre-made/fast foods I eat.  Confession: I don't eat as well as I'd like.  If anything, this last month has taught me, it doesn't matter if it is soy-free or grain-free or made with all natural ingredients; junk is still junk!  I can't eat chips every day and expect my weight to behave.  I can't eat candy by the handfuls and lose weight.  I still need to eat more veggies and fruits and natural, good for you foods.  I am working on reducing the junk, and it is not an easy thing because junk is quick, healthy is not.  However, I'd rather take a little more time on my health now and spend less time being sick later. :)
       
  6. June was crazy, and July is going to be worse!  I've had every intention of blogging more this last month, but it was not to be.  I've been swamped with doctor's appointments (not illness, but eye appointments, dentist, allergist, etc.) and activities.  It's been 2 or 3 things a week at least, and that's not left much time for blogging.  July is not looking much better, but I am hoping to try to post at least once more before August.  I can't promise, though, because there is something going on pretty much every day in July that will consume a lot of my time.  I will try, though! :)
     
  7. My daughter got glasses, and my oldest got new ones!  We found out that Elaina has an astigmatism, so she got glasses right before the 4th, and my oldest got new frames.  Don't they look adorable?
    
    Stephen with his new glasses, Sean (my only non-glasses kid)
    and Elaina with her new glasses and her faithful friend, Bunny.
  8. My daughter is having surgery in 9 days. One of the doctor's appointments was for my daughter to see an ENT.  She's had issues with chronic ear infections in the past, chronic sinus infections, URIs, and strep.  We put her on medication for allergies (seasonal as far as we can tell for the most part, though nothing she's been tested for has shown positive as far as indoor allergies) that helped with the amount of ear infections, but did not reduce the amount of illness in general nor the amount of fluid behind her ears.  After noting that she was on 4 or 5 antibiotics between November of 2013 and June of 2014, her allergist informed us that she is at the age she should be outgrowing the number of illnesses requiring meds, not staying the same/increasing, hence the visit to the ENT.  After her evaluation, it was decided that indeed she had issues with her tonsils and adenoids and she had issues with her ears (all things we suspected a year ago, but the tests were inconclusive).  We decided that having her tonsils and adenoids removed and putting tubes in both of her ears was her best bet to get healthy and stay healthy.  The ENT told us we could wait on the tonsils if we wanted, but if we decided not to remove them and she still kept getting infections, she would need surgery again in less than a year.  We didn't want to put her through all that, so we decided to do everything at once.  There is a slight increase risk for complications due to her age, so we are praying earnestly about all of that, and we'd appreciate your prayers.  Please pray, too, that she (and no one else) gets sick before her surgery or we'll have to reschedule, and that's not something we want to do.  Thanks so much!  I will let you know how she is doing after the surgery in some way.
       
    (7-16-14 Update on my daughter: Her surgery went perfectly, though they did note a lot of congestion. She's been doing well, though she has developed a slight fever today and wants to cough sometimes. She also really cries when she has her ear drops. I called the doctor and am waiting on a call back. All of these things can be quite normal, but I always like to double check. :) Continued prayers appreciated, thank you!!)
      
  9. I am still working on those exciting plans for my blogs!  I've got about 1/3 to 1/2 of the changes done that I want to make.  I've got up all of my "alternative names and helpful links" pages on Natural and Free now.  There's one for soy, gluten/wheat, milk and eggs, fish and seafood and shellfish, and tree nuts and peanuts.  The other plans are in the works, just going to take longer than I thought due to busyness that I didn't plan on through July now.  It will happen...I just don't know when!  Thanks for your patience! :)
      
  10. Here's my side-by-side progress from this year.  I keep mentioning comparison on how things fit and such despite what the scale says, and yet I have not posted side-by-side comparison pics.  Well, that changes today.  Here's a side-by-side of January, 2014 to now.  You'll probably have to enlarge the picture to its original size to see the difference, but it is there. It is subtle, but there, and that is what matters most! :)
    
    That's all for now, I suppose.  How are you doing?  Are you reaching your goals?  Have you tried something new?  Come up with a new recipe?  I hope all is going well with you, and I hope you will link-up a post telling me all about it or even leave a comment sharing your thoughts.  As always, I wish you the best of luck in all you do, and hope you will return soon! :)





    ~*~*~*~
    Now It's Your Turn!



    ~*~*~*~
    Grab A Badge!


    (This post was originally posted on my original site, Fibro, Fit and Fab!)

    6 comments:

    1. This is really so motivating Julie. I love how you are using your blog to keep yourself motivated. Your daughter looks so cute in glasses. I have a 2yr old who looks like she is squinting sometimes... I am yet to take her to her doc. You just remonded me! :D enjoyed your report. Keep up the good work.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Aysh! I wish you the best with your daughter. I was told that our eye doctor can see little ones as soon as like 8 weeks old! It's amazing how they check and look. Our eye doctor was GREAT with Elaina, so I hope you have the same experience! :)

        Thanks for stopping by!

        Delete
    2. First of all, I continue to remain so impressed and inspired by you, Julie. You look fantastic and the fact that you are more active and in the process of figuring out what foods work for you is just fantastic. I have been on a bit of a dieting slump recently (like the past month) and I've re-gained about 8 pounds, but this post is giving me the motivation to get back started!
      I am praying that your daughter stays well before her surgery and it all goes very, very smoothly. I'll be thinking of all of you! --Lisa
      PS. Your children are so beautiful!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you, Lisa! I am glad I got to be your motivation, and I wish you all the best on your weight loss journey. It is not easy to get back sometimes, but it is so worth it! You cheer for me, and I'll cheer for you! Deal?!?! :)

        Thanks for praying for my daughter. I really appreciate it. I'm getting a little anxious, but reminding myself that this is a good thing for her. A little (or even a lot) of pain short term is way better than repeat illness and lots of pain and harm later.

        Delete
    3. Sounds like you all have quite a busy summer planned! Praying that Elaina's surgeru goes well and recovery is quick and complete! Love you all!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, Patty! We love you, too! Still praying that Lili's heart is shrinking back to normal size and that she continues to thrive. :) And, yes, a VERY busy summer, indeed! I'm actually looking forward to back-to-school so it can slow down a little! LOL :D

        Delete

    Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

    Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

    Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)