NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Macaroni Soup (Soy, Egg, Fish and Nut-Free, Can Be Wheat-Free)


This is a recipe that I adapted from a soup that my Granny made for me all the time when I was a little girl.  It reminds me of mac and cheese without the cheese, though you certainly could put some shredded cheese on top if you wanted. :)  This soup is one of my comfort foods - the food I eat when I'm longing for family I don't get to see often or when I am just down and need a pick-me-up.  It works like a charm. :) I hope that it will become like that for you.
This recipe is soy-free (if you use all soy-free ingredients), egg, fish and nut-free, and can be wheat-free (see variations).
Macaroni Soup

  3 Cups or so of water for boiling (salted or not is your choice)
1/2 Cup dry macaroni noodles
(I prefer mini sea shell shaped, but any type of small macaroni noodle works)
1/2 Cup milk
1 Tablespoon salted, full-fat butter
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon celery salt (I recommend McCormick's)
(You can also use celery seed, but you may need to add salt to the soup.)
dash or so of black pepper
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon onion salt (optional) (I recommend McCormick's)
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt (optional) (I recommend McCormick's)
1.  In a medium saucepan, bring the water to boil over medium to high heat. (You'll need at least 3 Cups of water, but the exact amount is debatable.  Use what works best for you or what is recommended on your package of macaroni.)
2. Add the macaroni to the boiling water and cook to desired done-ness.  (This can be anywhere from 7 to 10 minutes depending on the package direction and your personal preference.  You'll have to keep an eye on the pot to make sure it doesn't boil over, so it's best to keep the temperature about medium at this point.)
3. Drain the noodles and return them to the saucepan.
4. Add the milk, butter and the spices you're using to the noodles and cook over medium-low heat (stirring regularly so that the milk doesn't burn) until the butter is melted and the milk is heated to desired temperature.  (Note: The amount of spices is based on personal taste.  The idea is that you have twice as much of the celery salt/celery seed as you do the onion or garlic salt and just a little bit of pepper.  You can play around with the amounts if you like, though, and see what is most pleasing to your palate.  If you don't like onion or garlic, leave those out as they are not necessary, but I like the flavor they lend to the soup.  Also, I like using celery salt over celery seed because I find that biting into the seed can be a bit overpowering, whereas the salt is ground and just blends into the soup in my opinion.)
This recipe makes 1 serving.
Variations:
  • Gluten/Wheat-free: Use gluten-free/rice macaroni.
  • Mac and Cheese Soup: Add shredded cheese (your favorite kind).  You can either stir it in at step 4 and let it melt or just sprinkle it on top before eating.

(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this!! :) YUM! I got it tweeted and pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like the gluten-free version! :) This is one of my major go-to comfort foods. It's quick and easy and reminds me of home. :)

      Thanks for stopping by and for sharing the recipe via Twitter and Pinterest!

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)