NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Spring Fling, Blogger-Style!: Mint Smoothie (Soy, Nut, Fish, Egg and Wheat-Free, Can Be Milk-Free and Diabetic Friendly)

~*Welcome to*~
TOMORROW is the LAST day of our Spring-filled link-up with Jo of Jo, My Gosh! and I.  I hope you have gotten by to see Jo's contributions to this week's link-up.  If not, you should, and I hope you will all join in the festivities and link-up below, too (rules below)! :) 

If I haven't been by to visit your submission yet, I will be soon!  I can't wait to see what you have shared with us!
Here's what I've shared with you so far:
  1. Sean's Banana Berry Birthday Smoothie (Soy, Wheat, Nut, Fish and Egg-Free, Can Be Milk-Free)
     
  2. Super Simple Roasted Asparagus (Soy, Wheat, Egg, Nut, Milk and Fish-Free)
     
  3. Beef and Barley Stew (Soy, Nut, Fish, Egg and Wheat-Free, Can Be Milk-Free)
Today, I am sharing a recipe that screams Springtime to me because a certain fast food joint that shall remain nameless always has them this time of year, and I totally love them but wanted a healthier, allergy-friendly version of them.  You all know what I'm talking about: those delightful mint shakes that are oh so good, yet oh so bad.  Well, fear not!  You can now have this Mint Smoothie (a modified version of this recipe I found on Skinny Mom) that is soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), wheat, egg, nut and fish-free, and can be milk-free (see variations) and diabetic friendly!  All the taste with none of the guilt!  Score! :)


 Mint Smoothie
1 Cup ice
1/2 Cup soy-free vanilla yogurt (I recommend Stonyfield Farm's)
1 to 2 Tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
dash of salt
drop of mint extract
  1. Place all ingredients into the blender and blend until desired consistency, adding more ice if it is too thin for your liking or adding more yogurt or even some milk if it is too thick as needed.  (Note: You will probably have to pulse it a few times on an "ice crusher" mode before going full boar.  The amount of sugar is based on personal taste, but I recommend using the lesser amount and adding more as needed.  Resist the urge to add more than a drop of mint extract until AFTER you've tasted the mixture.  A little goes a LONG way.)
Makes about 1 serving.
  
Variations (Please keep your particular allergen needs in mind when using substitutions!):
  • Milk-Free: Use a dairy-free yogurt/milk (like SoDelicious) in place of the yogurt.
     
  • Diabetic Friendly: You can sub any sugar substitute for the sugar.  You can even use honey, if you can have it, but the taste will be different.
     
  • Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie: Add a handful or so of chocolate chips (I recommend Nestles Dark Chocolate Morsels or Enjoy Life brand, depending on your dietary needs) before blending.
     
  • More Shake-like: Sub 1 Cup vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt (dairy or non-dairy depending on dietary needs) for the ice and 1/2 Cup milk (dairy or non-dairy depending on dietary needs) for the yogurt and make as directed.
Though this smoothie is not exactly like the milkshake that inspired it, it still hits the spot for me and curbs my cravings for them.  That's a plus in my book.
But what did the family have to say about it?
Did they like it? 
Well, just see what my 2 1/2 year old said:
I think we have a winner. :)

What is your favorite flavor of shake or smoothie? 










~*~*~*~
Now It's Your Turn!
Grab A Badge!
 



(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

6 comments:

  1. YUM! I know just which one you are referring to...mint smoothies are tasty! :)-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ma'am, they are! Evil boogers! Now you know why I had to come up with my own recipe that wouldn't leave me guilt laden for weeks! LOL :)

      Thanks for stopping by, Ashley. :)

      Delete
  2. You always have the best linky party ideas!

    Happy spring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my friend, for the compliment and for linking up! :) I look forward to stopping by and reading all your submissions! :)

      Happy Spring to you, too!

      Delete
  3. I love mint! And yogurt, too. This sounds 100% awesome!

    Natashalh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) It was pretty refreshing. I will have to make another one sometime soon. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)