NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, January 11, 2019

Gluten-Free Andes Mint Brownies (Wheat, Fish and Nut-Free, Can Be Soy, Egg and Milk-Free)


I don't know about you, but the cold weather always makes me crave minty things (I blame candy canes at Christmastime).  I also adore most things mint and chocolate.  The idea of a mint chocolate brownie just really appealed to me, so I had to try making one.  The result?  YUM!  Gooey, sweet, minty, fudgy chocolate brownies - heaven in a pan!  The recipe is essentially my original brownie recipe with Andes Mint baking chips mixed in and melted on top.  So good!  If you love mint and chocolate like I do, you'll have to give these a try!  You won't regret it!

These brownies are wheat, fish and nut-free (if all your ingredients are), and can be soy, egg and milk-free (see variations).


Note: The gluten-free flour I recommend does not technically contain soy, but it does contain guar gum (see "Soy-Free" under variations for more details) which can cause issues for people with soy sensitivities or allergies, and the Andes Mint baking chips contain soy lecithin.  For these reasons, I will not claim that this recipe is soy-free.  I will share a soy-free alternative in variations, though.


Gluten-Free Andes Mint Brownies

3/4 Cup salted, full-fat butter

1 1/2 Cups sugar

3 eggs

1 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract

1 Cup gluten-free flour blend 
(I recommend Pamela's Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour)

3/4 Cup gluten-free cocoa powder

3/4 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 bag (10 oz.) Andes Creme De Menthe Baking Chips


1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Mix butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla together, until blended.
  
3. Add to mixture, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt, until well blended.
4. Stir in 1/2 of the Andes baking chips into the batter.

5. Pour into a greased pan (9"x13"), and bake for 20 to 30 minutes until desired doneness.  (Note: For more fudge-like brownies, bake closer to 20 minutes.  For more cake-like brownies, back closer to 30 minutes.  I like to bake these to about 25 minutes because of the added Andes baking chips which make them more gooey by default.)

6.  Immediately after removing the brownies from the oven, cover the brownies evenly with the remaining Andes baking chips.

7. Once the baking chips have melted (this normally takes less than a minute), spread the melted chips evenly and carefully over the surface of the brownies.  (Note: A metal spoon is best used here vs. a spatula.  You're least likely to tear the surface of the brownies with a metal spoon.)

8.  Enjoy the brownies hot, warm or cold - whatever your preference!

Makes 12 large to 24 average-sized portions.





Variations (Please keep your individual dietary needs in mind when using variations):

  • Milk-Free: Use non-dairy butter of your choice, coconut oil or lard in place of the butter in this recipe. I am not sure how these would turn out if you used oil, but you are welcome to try it if you've used oil in homemade brownies in the past and like them made with oil.  My guess is that they'd be a lot more dense/fudge-y with the oil.  Also, you will have to substitute a dairy-free chocolate (I highly recommend Enjoy Life) for the Andes Mint baking chips and use a dairy-free mint-extract to get the mint flavor  (I'd use 1 teaspoon, but you could use up to 2 teaspoons if you really want them minty).  You could either choose to keep the vanilla in the batter or remove it, as well.
      
  • Egg-Free: Use an egg replacer in place of the eggs.  For ideas on what to use in place of the eggs, check out my ingredient substitutions page.  The flax seed "egg" replacement would be a good fit with this recipe.
     
  • Soy-Free: Pamela's Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour does not claim to contain soy, but it does contain guar gum, which can cause issues with people who have soy sensitivities and allergies, and the Andes Mint baking chips contain soy lecithin.  For these reasons, I will not claim that this recipe is soy-free.  You can use regular flour (if you can have it) or a soy-free, gluten-free flour of your choice.  Keep in mind that if your blend doesn't contain guar gum or xanthan gum, you may need to add between 1/4 to 1 teaspoons of ground flax seed, guar gum or xanthan gum to help with textural issues, too.  Also, you will have to substitute a soy-free chocolate (I highly recommend Enjoy Life) for the Andes Mint baking chips and use a soy-free mint-extract to get the mint flavor  (I'd use 1 teaspoon, but you could use up to 2 teaspoons if you really want them minty).  You could either choose to keep the vanilla in the batter or remove it, as well.  You'll have to make sure all of your ingredients are soy-free, too.
      
  • No "Frosting" or All "Frosting" and Other Alternatives:  If you don't like the idea of a chocolate coating on top, just stir all the baking chips into the batter and bake as directed.  If you want all the mint chips on top vs. in the batter, you can do that, too.  You can also use more than 1 bag of Andes baking chips if you desire, and use one full bag in the brownies and part to all of a bag on top.  You could also make your own frosting to put on top of these brownies, too, or even use a mix of regular chocolate chips and Andes baking chips.  The choice is yours!

Don't these look delicious!?!?!
I promise they are DIVINE!  Give them a try today - you won't regret it!



Have a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)