NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, October 13, 2018

German Potato Salad (Soy, Wheat, Nut, Fish, Egg and Milk-Free)


Autumn is finally here in all its beauty and cooler weather (as I type this, it is 45oF outside and blustery).  I absolutely love it!  Fluffy sweaters, warm blankets, cozy socks, warm cider - right up my alley!  It is the perfect time to make hot dishes like soups or casseroles, and a great time of year for this German potato salad!

Unlike your picnic-type potato salad, German potato salad is served hot and has a bit of a tangy, yet sweet taste to it.  I honestly think it tastes a bit like it has BBQ sauce in it, so if you like BBQ potato chips or BBQ sauce with potatoes, this is for you!

This recipe is an adaption of one I found on Genius Kitchen by breezermom.  It is so easy to make, tastes delicious, and is free of all top 8 allergens (if all your ingredients are).  I have made it for more than a few potlucks (it is great for Missions Conference or themed meals if you need a non-American recipe) with rave reviews.  I hope you try it and it becomes a fall favorite for you and yours.


German Potato Salad
3 Cups potatoes, diced into bite-sized pieces
(I use red or Yukon gold potatoes, but you can also use russets.  If using russets, you'll want to peal the potatoes, but red or Yukon gold potatoes do not have to be peeled.)

1/2 lb. allergy-friendly ham or bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
(I like to use Hormel Natural Choice bacon or ham for this.)

1/2 Cup green, red or white onion, chopped into bite-sized pieces
(Use whichever onion you prefer.)

2 Tablespoon water

1/4 Cup gluten-free vinegar
(I use apple cider vinegar, but you can use distilled white vinegar or a wine vinegar, but I would not recommend balsamic.)

3 Tablespoons white sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 Tablespoon parsley flakes

  1. In a large stock pot, boil your potatoes until cooked to desired done-ness, drain and cool.  (Note: I like to cook my potatoes for about 20 minutes - that's from the time I turn the water on, NOT from the time the water boils.  Generally, 20 minutes gives me fork-tender, not mushy potatoes.  I would check them at 15 minutes, check them to see if they are done, and then - if they are not to your liking - every 3 to 5 minutes until they are to your liking.)
      
  2. If using bacon, fry it in a large skillet until desired done-ness (you can also bake it in the oven), remove the bacon from the skillet/baking sheet, and reserve 1 to 2 Tablespoons of bacon fat, and set cooked bacon off to the side on a paper towel to drain - you won't need it again until step 5.  (Note: You can cook the bacon whole or already cut into bite-sized pieces - the choice is yours.  I find baking the bacon works better with it whole, and frying the bacon on the stove top works better if it is cut into pieces.)
      
  3. In a very large skillet, use the 1 to 2 Tablespoons of bacon fat (if you are not using bacon or don't have bacon grease, use another fat that works for your allergen needs instead) to cook the onions until tender.  If you are using the ham, brown the ham with the onions in this step.   (Note: I have used each different type of onion - red, green or white - depending what I had on hand, and they all work beautifully.  You can use a mix of a few if needed, as well.)
      
  4. Add the water, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper into the skillet with the onions (and ham, if using) and bring the mixture to a boil.  (Note: I have used distilled white vinegar and apple cider vinegar for this dish.  My favorite is by far the cider vinegar.)
       
  5. Add the parsley and the potatoes (bacon, too, if using vs. ham) into the skillet mixture, stir well, and heat through.
      
  6. Once everything is heated through, transfer to a serving dish or crock pot and serve warm.

Makes about 4 servings.


Variations (Please keep your specific dietary/allergen needs in mind when using variations!):
  • Using Ham and Bacon: If you want to use both ham and bacon, you certainly could.  You could use 1/2 lb. of each or 1/2 lb. total - whatever you fancy.
       
  • Bacon on Top: If you want your bacon to stay crispy, sprinkle it on top of the dish vs. mixing it in in step 5.  You can also mix half in and crumble the rest on top - the choice is yours.
      
  • Fresh Parsley vs. Parsley Flakes: If you want to use fresh parsley, you may.  Just reduce the amount to 1 teaspoon vs. 1 Tablespoon.
       
  • Alternative Sugars/Sweeteners: White sugar adds a very distinct taste to this dish, and I'm not sure brown sugar, maple syrup, honey, Stevia or any other sweetener will work right flavor-wise for this dish.  However, if you wish to try it, you may.  Just substitute according to the recommendations on this chart.
I promise, it tastes as good as it looks!


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)