NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, January 20, 2014

Ham and Bean Soup (Soy, Wheat, Nut, Fish, Egg and Milk-Free)


I am so sorry it has taken so long for me to post a new recipe!  Since before Christmas, we have been dealing with illness, computer issues and so much more!  Hopefully today's recipe was worth the wait, though. :)

I don't know about you, but winter time = soup, stew and chili time!  I just like a delicious, hot and hardy dish on those cold days and nights, and nothing fits the bill like soup, stew or chili!  And if that soup, stew or chili just so happens to be allergy-friendly, well, that puts it over the top!

This soup is my take on your classic ham and bean soup.  It is original to me, though I did take some pointers off the web (I went to allrecipes.com and researched ham and bean soups) and from my mom and Granny.  This is the end result.  I hope you like it!

This recipe is soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), fish, nut, wheat, milk and egg-free.  It is also super easy!  Win-win! :)



Ham and Bean Soup

soy-free ham, cooked and chopped into bite-sized pieces
(Amount is to taste, but I would go with around 2 Cups to start.)

1 bottle (24 or 48 oz.) soy-free Great Northern Beans (I recommend Randall's), drained and rinsed

4 or 5 medium potatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces
(Type and peeled or not is up to you, but I would recommend using red or yellow potatoes if you're not planning on peeling them.)

4 Cups soy-free ham stock (I used the juice that was left over from cooking the ham) or water or a combination of both
(You can add more or less to taste.)

1 teaspoon soy-free onion salt (I recommend McCormick's)

1 teaspoon soy-free celery salt (I recommend McCormick's)

1 Tablespoon dried parsley

1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper

  1. Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot and bring to a boil.
      
  2. Simmer (reducing heat if necessary to keep soup from boiling over) for about 1/2 hour or until the potatoes are to desired doneness.
That's it!  Couldn't get much easier than that!  It makes a ton, too!  One recipe feeds a family of 5 well with leftovers - 4 quarts or so is my guess based on that it fills my 5 1/2 quart stock pot about three quarters or so full!

Variations (Please keep your individual dietary and allergy needs in mind when using substitutions, thank you!):

  • Less Sodium/Salty: Ham and ham stock can be very salty, especially if you are using the juice that is left over from cooking the ham as your stock.  If this is the case, use mostly or even all water and even consider using onion powder (1 teaspoon) or diced onion (1 small or medium, depending on your preference) instead of the onion salt and/or 1/4 Cup or so diced celery or 1 teaspoon celery seed in place of the celery salt.
  • Different Stock: If you want to try using chicken or vegetable stock instead of ham stock or water, you most certainly could do that.
  • Less/No Potatoes: If you feel there are too many potatoes, you can reduce the number.  If you don't like potatoes at all, you can certainly leave them out.
  • More Veggies: You can certainly add more veggies, too, if you wish, as well as use the substitutions that I mentioned in the "Less Sodium/Salty" variation.  More potatoes, shredded carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, spinach - any of these in any combination that you want would be good additions.  I would start with adding no more than 1/2 Cup of each, though, since you don't want to overload the pot. :)  Feel free to add more broth or water, too, if necessary when you add more veggies, and adjust the spice level accordingly.  Just remember to cook your soup until all your veggies are to desired doneness, too, and note that you may not want to add kale or spinach until there are about 10 minutes left in the cooking process if you don't want them too well done.
  • Different Beans: If you have trouble with Great Northern Beans, you can always use another mild white bean like Cannellini.


This soup is hearty, easy and delicious, not to mention perfect for a cold winter day!

~*~*~*~

What's your favorite soup?

What's your favorite winter recipe?



(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

6 comments:

  1. Sorry you've been dealing with so many things, but YES this recipe was definitely worth the wait!! YUMMY!! That is a soup that is definitely a meal! I love beans in soups. It reminds me of things my grandmother made for me! Hope everyone is well at your house now and your computer issues are a thing of the past! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! Everyone is well for the moment (YAY!), and hopefully it will stay that way for awhile. :) The computer issues are mainly resolved, though I still need to reload some programs that I lost (like Photoshop and Word). We're having some technical issues with the online school we use, too, but that's nothing major. It's just a lot of little things, but they add up! I have hope that everything will be running smoothly (as they can be) soon, though. :)

      I agree; this soup IS a meal. It reminds me of soups by grandma, too. :) Makes you feel all loved and nostalgic. Love that!

      Hope all is well with you, too, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. My favorite soup to make is a roasted vegetable soup, but it's not as hearty as this one - which looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dana! It is yummy. Roasted veggie soup sounds delish! I need a good veggie soup recipe. I have a good tomato one, but not one that is multiple veggie. Guess I know what I'll be looking for next! :) Thanks for the inspiration!

      Delete
  3. This looks wonderful! I love making soup - especially on cold days. It's been a bit chilly here this week, I may make this for dinner this weekend! Thanks for sharing your recipe on EpiFamily.com's Food Allergy Love Fest Link-Up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope you enjoy it! You'll have to let me know how it turns out! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)