NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Back-To-School Link-Up {Day 1}: Stacey's Turkey, Cheese and Salsa Wraps (Fish, Egg and Nut-Free, Can Be Milk, Soy and Wheat-Free) {Guest Recipe}


Today is the first day of my back-to-school link-up, and I couldn't be more excited!  Normally I come up with posts for you all, but this time, I decided to highlight some of my amazing blogger buddies and let them share with you their wisdom, recipes, humor, ideas, etc.  Y'all are in for a treat! :)  Nearly 2 weeks of amazing bloggers, people!  Oh, yah!  The fun begins now! :)


First up is one of my blogger besties, Stacey of Glued To My Crafts, who has been a co-host with me for link-ups before and a guest.  She is an amazing friend, great mom and hosts some great link-ups, including her weekly Crafty Thursday Obsessions where you can not only find some awesome craft ideas but also some great recipes, too!  If you've not checked it out, you should!  You won't be sorry!


I asked Stacey is she was willing to share something back-to-school with you all, and she immediately said yes, because she's awesome like that! :)  I think you will all just love it, too!  It's easy and delicious and perfect for an after school snack (My personal tips on how to make it more allergy-friendly are included after the post.)!  Who doesn't love easy and delicious?!?!  It's the perfect combo! :)

I know you all are just dying to see that recipe now, so here it is!


~*~*~*~

You know the saying "You are what you eat?" Well - that phase is very true. When you don't eat good stuff, your body shows it. Our brains don't act right and we feel sluggish throughout the day. So with school starting back up for kids, it's important to not only feed them good stuff, but teach them how to nourish their bodies too. We want them to be able to succeed, right?

And I know first hand, with kids that can be tough. Neither my husband or I are picky eaters, but somehow we were blessed with a picky eater toddler. Whenever I think my son likes something, he proves me wrong by changing his mind the next day.

Most times I don't want to waste the money by buying/giving him expensive {good} stuff because I have a fear of throwing it away. Then in turn, that is like throwing money away. Money I could be putting else-where. But that isn't the way to think. Regardless, I need to offer & try to feed him good stuff. Eventually he will grow out of it and like what I offer. Least that's my hope for him.

So after much trial and error, I'm finding ways to "trick" the picky eater. I'm doing little tweaks and changes to make it more appealing. One of which is dressing/displaying the food in a fun way. The recipe I'm going to share today is not only simple, but fun to dress up. The colorful spirals on a skewer make it fun to eat & presentable. My son {you know, the picky eater} hasn't turned it down since I started making it for him. "I" like it because I can make it advance and store the pieces in the fridge.


Turkey, Cheese and Salsa Wraps

Ingredients:
* Tortillas
* Sliced or shredded cheese
* Turkey lunch meat
* Salsa {I used a mild green salsa}

Preheat oven to 350F.

Place your flour tortilla on a baking sheet.

Lay/sprinkle your cheese all over the top of the tortilla.

Bake until cheese is melted {about 5 minutes}.

Arrange your turkey lunch meat on the tortilla and spread salsa all over.

Roll your tortilla into a tight cylinder.

Cut the rolled tortilla into chunks and skew on the skewers that have the pointed ends cut off.

Enjoy!


For added flair - change out the salsa for mashed avocado or add cherry tomatoes in between each tortilla chunk on the skewer. You can also experiment with different flavored tortillas, cheese and lunch meat. I really hope you enjoy it!

{Note from Julie: This recipe is naturally fish, egg and nut-free, but can also be milk-free if you use dairy-free cheese, soy-free if you make sure your ingredients are and/or wheat-free if you use gluten-free/grain-free tortillas.}




~*~*~*~

 You can connect with Stacey at the following locations:
Thanks for being my guest today, Stacey! 
Here is your badge if you'd like to use it:
~*~*~*~
Don't forget to leave Stacey some comment love below and to link up a back-to-school post of your own in the link-up!  The more the merrier! :)
Thanks!


 ~*~ Now It's Your Turn! ~*~

 
~*~ Grab A Badge! ~*~

 



(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great choice! My Abby, especially, would love those! :)-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for a link-up, Julie! Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi, for commenting and for linking up! :) I appreciate it! It should be an amazing time. I am so looking forward to sharing all my guests with you and their great back-to-school posts! :)

      Delete
  3. What a great link up idea! I already see several I need to check out!

    Thank you for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and linking up! There are some amazing posts definitely worth checking out! I hope you find something (or lots of somethings) amazing!

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)