NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Top 8 Free Oatmeal Apple Muffins (Soy, Wheat, Nut, Fish, Egg and Milk-Free, Can Be Diabetic Friendly)


You all, I could not be more excited about a recipe than I am this one!  You have no idea how long I have worked on this!  Seriously!  My family has had to endure a lot of recipe fails in my attempt to make this one for you, but I finally got it right!  Can I get a "Woot! Woot!"!?!?! :D

May I present to you my first ever, Top 8 free muffin, created by me via doing some serious tweaks to my Cereal Muffin recipe!   That's right, y'all, I said TOP 8 FREE!  Seriously!  It is free of soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), wheat, nuts, fish, egg and milk!  It is also moist without being mush (provided you follow my instructions), not too sweet, super simple and good for you to boot!  Hurrah! :)  I even have some variations to take you year round and to help those who have other food sensitivities/dietary needs, too!  Seriously, this will become a go-to muffin for you all when you need to make something that is safe for the masses! :) (Can you tell I'm excited about these?!?!?  I mean, just check out all the smileys!!! :D :D :D LOL )

Without further adieu, here it is!



Top 8 Free Oatmeal Apple Muffins
4 Cups gluten-free quick oats
(Do NOT use instant oatmeal or old fashioned oats!)

2 Cups unsweetened, soy-free applesauce

1 Cup water

1/2 Cup extra virgin olive oil

1/2 Cup white sugar

2 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

up to 1 Cup apples, chopped into a small dice (optional)
(I generally use 1 or 2 small apples; Granny Smith, Gala, Fuji, McIntosh, Braeburn - all of these are great, but you can use your favorite or a combo of any that you like best.)

1. Preheat oven to 400oF.
  
2. Mix oats, applesauce, water and oil in a large mixing bowl and let stand for 15 minutes.  (Note: Do NOT skip this part!  The oats need to soak up all the moisture they can, so they need to sit for the full 15 minutes or the muffins turn out mushy and sticky.  Not so good.)


3. Add sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; mix well.

4. If adding diced apples, add them now and mix until evenly distributed.  (Note: You do not have to peel the apples unless you want to.)


5. Line muffin tins with 24 to 30 paper cups.

6. Fill cups 2/3 or so full.

7. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center muffin comes out clean and the tops are golden brown.  (Note: The toothpick will come out clean before the tops are browned.  Do NOT remove them until the tops are browned or you will have mushy and sticky muffins.)

Makes 24 to 30 muffins.

Note: These muffins are best enjoyed after they have completely cooled, especially if using the chopped apple.  I tried one while they were still warm, and they were ok, just a little sticky where the fruit was.  I tried them again after they were completely cooled, and the texture was perfect!  If you want less risk of sticky muffins, leave the chopped apple out.




Variations (Please keep your individual allergy and dietary needs in mind when using substitutions!):
  • Grain-Free: If you have trouble with all grains, including oatmeal, sub quinoa flakes for the oatmeal and make as directed.
      
  • Diabetic Friendly: Use any approved for baking sugar substitute for the white sugar.
      
  • Other Sweetener Options: If you wish, you can use brown sugar or coconut sugar or any other non-liquid sugar for the white sugar.  I do not recommend using honey, molasses or another type of liquid sweetener as it will greatly change the moisture content and it will effect the outcome greatly.
      
  • Other Fruit/Stir-In Combos: If you don't like apple or cannot have apples, you can use any other type of fruit puree you wish, such as pumpkin, berry, banana, etc. and either leave out the apples or use another type of fresh or dried fruit, nuts, seeds, chocolate chip (Enjoy Life brand would be wonderful to keep it Top 8 free), coconut flakes, etc. that you desire (just don't exceed 1 Cup of fresh/dried fruit, nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, etc.).  If you are using another fruit puree, you can leave out the cinnamon if you want.  If you are using the pumpkin puree, you can leave out the cinnamon and add 1 Tablespoon Pumpkin Pie Spice for a nice autumnal muffin option!  You can also just use whatever fruit is in season: berries in the spring/summer, apples/pumpkin in the fall/winter, etc.  Have fun mixing it up and trying new things! :)
      
  • Other Oil: If you can't use or don't like olive oil, you can sub corn oil, canola oil, coconut oil or lard with success.
Awesome, right?  Lots of options for this little treasure! :)
    ~*~*~*~
    What is your favorite muffin?
    What is your favorite meal of the day?
    Do you like savory or sweet for breakfast?



(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)


12 comments:

  1. Those look really delicious! My girls would LOVE them...they would be perfect for back-to-school! :)-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley! My 9 year old and 3 year old love these! My oldest isn't a huge muffin fan, but even he says they are good, too. They are super easy to make, too, and that's a plus! I thought they'd be great for back-to-school, too! :) Great minds think alike! ;)

      Delete
  2. Lovely collection of absolute yummy and muffins with so many alternatives,will make a delicious breakfast for the weekend,thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much and you are so welcome! :) If you make them, I hope you enjoy them! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  3. Looks amazing! I'm pinning it now :)

    AJ | TheAJMinute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, AJ! :) I was very pleased with how they turned out. :) I am thinking of making some more today (if our power stays on - kinda stormy out and we've had some glitchy power) or tomorrow. They make a great grab-and-go snack! :)

      Delete
  4. Around here we love banana muffins -- in fact we just made another batch to keep in the freezer so we can enjoy them any time. I try to use applesauce instead of oil or shortening in our recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana and applesauce both are good replacers for fats and/or eggs. It's amazing how awesome those are!

      Delete
  5. I love to replace for more healthy choice. These look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am pleased with them. :) I never made them again when I planned on, so I need to make them again soon!

      Delete
  6. Julie, Thanks so much for sharing your Oatmeal Apple Muffin recipe on EpiFamily.com's Food Allergy Love Fest Link-Up! I am working really hard at becoming a morning person. My mom was a morning person and I have such fond memories of waking up to the smell of all sorts of freshly baked muffins in the morning. Thanks for sharing a safe recipe that my boys can have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Lauren! I am working harder to make recipes top 8 free, either in the original recipe or with substitutions that are do-able for all. I hope you try and love this recipe! :)

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)