NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Patriotic Bread (Soy, Fish, Egg and Nut-Free, Can Be Milk and Wheat-Free)

In honor of Independence Day in a few days, I decided to share a recipe that I shared on
Jo, My Gosh! back in the end of May that fits the theme of the Fourth: patriotism!
(To see the original post, go here.)

When Jo contacted me to be a guest, she told me she was looking for patriotic recipes, and at first I was stumped, but then I remembered an ultra simple recipe that I have called Blueberry Bread that could easily be modified to fit the theme!   I already had the blue in the blueberries, I could add strawberries for the red and use white whole wheat flour for the white and walla! Delish, allergy-friendly (it is soy-free if you use all soy-free ingredients, fish, egg and nut-free, and can be wheat and milk-free (see variations below)) Patriotic Bread was born!
 
This recipe is beyond easy and so, so good!  I mean, it has a streusel top and strawberry and blueberry goodness inside, people!  What's not to love!?!?
 
Though you can't see the red, white and blue throughout it (it kinda gives off a brownish-purple vibe), I hope that you will enjoy the spirit of the recipe and that it becomes a tradition for your patriotic holiday meals! :)
 
Patriotic Bread
½ Cup salted, full-fat butter
 1 Cup white sugar
1 ½ Cups soy-free flour
(I recommend using a white wheat flour such as King Arthur brand but all-purpose is fine.)
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ - 1 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 to 3/4 Cups mashed blueberries
(This is about 1 to 1 1/2 Cups blueberries before you mash them.)
1/2 to 3/4 Cups mashed strawberries
(This is about 1 to 1 1/2 Cups strawberries before you mash them.)
 
Streusel Topping:
1/4 Cup brown sugar, packed
2 Tablespoons soy-free flour (use the same type you use in the bread)
2 Tablespoons salted, full-fat butter, softened
2 Tablespoons soy-free rolled oats (I use quick cooking)

1. Preheat oven to 325oF.
2. Grease 8x4 or 9x5 inch loaf pan.
3. In a large bowl, cream the 1/2 Cup butter and white sugar.
4. Add the 1 1/2 Cups flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix well. (Note: The amount of salt and cinnamon is based on personal preference.  I find that 1/2 teaspoon of salt is plenty.  I enjoy the flavor of cinnamon, so I use the full teaspoon. If you do not, use the 1/2 teaspoon or leave it out entirely.)
5. Blend in mashed blueberries and strawberries. (I like to use a potato masher.) (Note: You can use frozen berries if you thaw them, just make sure you drain off any excess liquid before mashing them. Amount of mashed berries you use depends on personal preference and how liquidity your mashed berries are.)
6. Pour/scoop into prepared pan.
7. Prepare the streusel topping in a small bowl, by mixing 1/4 Cup brown sugar with 2 Tablespoons flour, then stir in 2 Tablespoons butter with a fork until crumbly before adding the 2 Tablespoons oats.
8. Sprinkle streusel topping onto bread.
9. Bake for 60 to 75 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
 


Variations (Please remember to keep your particular allergen needs in mind when using substitutions!):
  • Gluten/Wheat-Free Version: Substitute Gluten-Free (Such as King Arthur Brand) flour for the flour. You may also have to add up to 1/2 teaspoon ground flax seed or xanthan gum to the mix as well for texture issues.
      
  • Milk-Free Version: Substitute olive, corn or canola oil or dairy-free butter (like Earth Balance) for the butter in the bread and grease the pan with olive, corn or canola oil or dairy-free butter. It works wonderfully! You will have to use a dairy-free butter in the streusel or leave it off, as well.
      
  • Berry Bread: Use any type of berry (i.e. raspberries, blackberries, cherries) in place of the blueberries and strawberries, or use any mix of berries that you wish, just do not exceed 1 1/2 Cups total of mashed berries.
      
  • Mix In Fruit/Nuts: You can always add some dried or fresh berries/cherries and/or nuts to the bread, too, but no more than 1 Cup total mix-ins. Make sure that any fruit is either dried or fresh, though. Extra frozen berries/cherries make a mush mess!
      
  • Less/No Streusel: If you are not fond of streusel, just leave it off. If you like it but think the amount is too much, reduce the ingredients in the streusel by 1/2 and make as directed.
      
  • Patriotic Muffins: This recipe would be great as muffins! Just divide the batter equally among 12 to 18 paper-lined muffin cups, top batter with streusel topping and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the center muffins comes out clean.


~*~*~*~
Have a great Independence Day!
What is your favorite recipe for the 4th or the summer?
What is your favorite part of the 4th - the food, the parades (if you have them), the fireworks, family time or all of the above?


(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)


    2 comments:

    1. It looks DELICIOUS. I like the idea of doing it as muffins because--instant portion control!!! --Lisa

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Portion control is good! :) I will definitely make them as muffins next time.

        Thanks for stopping by, Lisa!

        Delete

    Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

    Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

    Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)