NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Peanut Butter Mug Cake (Soy, Fish and Egg-Free, Can Be Milk and Nut-Free and Diabetic Friendly)



I have decided that I am totally in love with mug cakes, so I came up with another recipe for one for you.  I came up with this recipe on my own, and I am quite please with the results.  It is soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), egg and fish-free, and can be nut and milk-free and diabetic friendly (see variations). 

I am still working on a wheat-free version, and it looks like you can sub gluten-free flour or baking mix for the regular flour and it will turn out, but since I don't have that variation down 100%, I did not add it to my list.  When I have it down, though, I will share.  Promise. :)  Feel free to try it, though, if you wish.


If you like peanut butter cake or cookies, this recipe is right up your alley.  It definitely packs a peanut butter punch, and for a peanut butter lover like me, that's a great thing! :)  I hope you like it.



 Peanut Butter Mug Cake
2 Tablespoons soy-free, all purpose flour (white whole wheat would work, too)
   
1 Tablespoon sugar
   
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    
pinch of salt
    
2 to 3 Tablespoons soy-free peanut butter, divided
(I recommend using Jif Natural brand for this recipe; crunchy or creamy is up to you.)
    
2 Tablespoons milk
  1. In a mug, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt with a fork until well combined.
  2. Add 1 Tablespoon peanut butter and milk and mix until there are no lumps remaining in your batter. (Note: It is crucial that there be no clumps! Unlike oven baking that leads to clumps baking out and leaving your cake more light or airy, clumps in microwaved cake leads to bitter bites of nastiness. Do not do!)
     
  3. Dollop the top of the mixture with 1 to 2 Tablespoons more of peanut butter, pushing down slightly to submerge if necessary.
     
  4. Microwave the mixture in your microwave on HIGH for 1 minute and enjoy.
Serves 1.
Variations (Please make sure any substitutions fit your individual dietary needs.):

  • Milk-Free: Use a non-dairy milk such as SoDelicious for the milk.
     
  • Nut-Free: If you can have tree nuts, sub a tree nut butter for the peanut butter.  If you can have neither, sub a seed butter for the peanut butter.
  • Alternative Molten Center: You can also sub 1 to 2 Tablespoon of caramel sauce, jam or preserves, chocolate chips (dairy or non), Marshmallow Fluff, etc. (whatever filling you think would taste good with peanut butter flavor) for the peanut butter in step 3.
     
  • Diabetic Friendly: Sub any approved for baking sugar substitute for the sugar. If you use a liquid sugar or sugar substitute (i.e. honey, Agave, liquid Stevia), I would mix it in when you do the milk and peanut butter. I am not sure how that would effect the taste and texture of the cake, but you are more than welcome to try it and see how it turns out. :)
     
  • Enjoy experimenting with flavors. As I mentioned before, you can use any number of fillings for the molten center. You can even mix a few, if you wish, like chocolate chips and caramel sauce, jam and chocolate chips, etc.  Just keep the amount down to around 2 Tablespoons so your cake isn't too mushy. You can even sprinkle the top with sugar before you microwave it for a little bit of extra sweetness if you'd like. You could even add a little cinnamon sprinkled on top or add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon to the mixture (add in step 1), if you wish.
Gooey, peanut butter goodness for one?

  Yah, buddy!  Bring it on!

~*~*~

What is your favorite "just for me" treat?



(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

8 comments:

  1. We could do this with SunButter!! YUMMY!!!
    I love a mug cake!!! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! :) Sounds delicious! I hope you enjoy it. Mug cakes are the bomb! :D

      Thanks for stopping by, Lisa. :)

      Delete
  2. I tried a mug cake once, but didn't come out as soft as I had wanted. don't like peanut butter, any suggestions for a substitute?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For this particular recipe, you could sub 1 Tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla for the peanut butter in the cake part and use any other filling you'd like in place of the 1 to 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter in the filling. This would make it like a vanilla cake with a molten filling. I also have 2 other mug cake recipes you could try: Snickerdoodle (http://naturalandfree.blogspot.com/2013/04/snickerdoodle-mug-cake-soy-nut-egg-and.html) and Chocolate Peanut Butter (http://naturalandfree.blogspot.com/2013/02/chocolate-peanut-butter-mug-cake-soy.html) - you can sub something for the peanut butter in that, too. I hope you find something you like and that it is as soft as you want it!:)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I love peanut butter. I save this and can't wait to try tomorrow :)

    -Honeybee
    http://herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too! Love me some peanut butter! :) I hope you enjoy it!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Brilliant recipe - really yummy and quick! I am lucky enough not to suffer from allergies but find these recipies handy if I don't have things like eggs in the fridge - hope Im not sounding ungrateful for your work finding substitutions! My only problem is I can never achieve the molten centre, but it still tastes great so can't complain too much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you separating the peanut butter up? You mix in 1 Tablespoon and then dollop the other 1 to 2 Tablespoons onto the top and push it down into the mix. You do NOT mix that last Tablespoon or 2 in, just push it down into the center a bit so that it is not floating on top. If you do this, you should get the molten center. That is the only reason I can think of that you wouldn't get one. Either way, I'm glad you like it, even if the molten center hasn't worked out for you yet. :)

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)