NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Super Easy Stroganoff (Fish, Soy, Nut-Free, Can Be Egg, Milk and Wheat-Free)


So, the other day I was in the mood for Stroganoff, but the recipe I normally use is not allergy-friendly at all.  So, I decided to try my hand at making up my own.  The results?  A very delicious knock-off that is much better for you!  This version is soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), nut and fish-free and can be milk, egg and wheat-free (see variations).  Besides all of that, it's super easy and makes a ton!  Win-win-win! :)

Super Easy Stroganoff
1 Tablespoon full-fat, salted butter

1 Tablespoon olive oil

1 medium to large white onion, diced

2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced

1 to 2 lbs. ground chuck or venison

1 to 2 lbs. fresh mushrooms, chopped

salt

pepper

paprika (optional)

parsley flakes (optional)

celery salt (optional) (I recommend McCormick brand)

2 Tablespoons soy-free flour

1 to 2 Cups water or soy-free beef stock (I recommend Kitchen Basics)

2 Cups soy-free sour cream (I recommend Daisy brand)

egg noodles, cooked

  1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and butter over medium to medium-high heat until the butter is melted; add in onions and garlic and cook until the onions turn clear. (Note: Amount of onion based on preference.  If you do not like white onion, you can use red, sweet, green onion or shallots to taste in place of it.)

  2. Add burger, mushrooms, salt, pepper, paprika, parsley flakes and celery salt (all spices to taste) and cook until the burger is browned and cooked through.  (Note: When using spices to taste, start off with just a little bit, taste and then add more as needed (i.e. sprinkle some over the top, stir well, let cook for a few seconds, taste and add more if desired, repeating as necessary).  With this recipe, you won't be able to taste your spice level until the burger is cooked, but that's ok.  You can adjust the spice level easily within a short span of time, just remember that you can always add more spice, but you cannot remove it once it is added.  Also, keep in mind that you want the dish slightly salter than you want when it's finished at this stage because the sour cream will dull it down some.  You can always add more spice at any point in preparing this dish, as well.  Remember that the level of spice I like is not necessarily the level of spice you like, so feel free to use as much or as little as you like, even leaving out spices if you wish or adding others (i.e. garlic salt, onion salt).  I recommend you try the recipe with the spices recommended first before altering them, but it is up to you.)

  3. Stir in 2 Tablespoons of flour and cook until the flour is well-blended in and the flour taste cooked out; from 3 to 5 minutes.

  4. Stir in 1 to 2 Cups water or beef stock, depending on how thick you want your sauce (I recommend starting with 1 Cup, adding the sour cream, then adding more water/stock if needed), and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes so the flavors can blend.  (Note: This is a good time to do a taste test to see if you want to add more spice or not.)
  5. Stir in the sour cream until well-blended; serve over cooked egg noodles. (Note: If this seems like too much sour cream to you, feel free to cut back on the amount.  Also, do one last taste to make sure your spices are where you like them.  If the sauce is too thick for your liking, you can add more water/stock as well.)
Feeds a family of 5 generously with leftovers.

Variations (Please keep in mind your individual allergen needs when using substitutions!):
  • Egg-Free: Use any type of noodle in place of the egg noodles.  You can even use rice, if desired.

  • Milk-Free: Use dairy-free butter for the butter (or omit the butter and double the oil) and use plain dairy-free yogurt for the sour cream (Earth Balance and SoDelicious are good brands that cater to a lot of allergen needs).

  • Wheat-Free/Gluten-Free: Use gluten-free noodles in place of the egg noodles.  You can even use rice, if you desire. Also, use cornstarch in place of the flour or leave it out all together.  The sauce will be thinner, but the flavor will be just fine.  You will probably have to cut back on the amount of stock/water, too, if you leave out the flour/cornstarch.  Make sure that your stock is gluten-free, if you use it, or just use the water, as well.

  • Vegetarian/Vegan: Leave out the beef/venison and double the mushrooms, or use a few different types.  Use the water or use a vegetable or mushroom stock (Kitchen Basics has a great variety of  allergy-friendly stocks, or you can use your own).  Use vegan butter for the butter or omit the butter and double the oil and use a vegan plain yogurt for the sour cream (Earth Balance and SoDelicious are good brands that cater to a lot of allergen needs).  Use a vegan noodle in place of the egg noodles.



Simple, hardy and delicious!  What could be better?





(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

18 comments:

  1. My hubby loves stroganoff, and I don't make it nearly enough for him! Thanks for inspiring me with a good, easy (enough) recipe! :)-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I hope he loves it, Ashley! :) It's nearly 1 pot, and you can't get much easier than that! :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. {Melinda} I love stoganoff, but haven't made it for a long time. This recipe looks simple, healthy and delicious. Thanks, Julie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melinda! I am in love with stroganoff, myself, but hadn't made it in ages due to all the not-so-good-for-you stuff I had been making it with. This worked out wonderfully for us, and I hope to make it again soon. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I have been looking for a good stroganoff recipe. Thank you, Julie!
    I'm looking forward to finding more delicious and simple recipes on your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace, and you're welcome! I hope that you enjoy it and find many more recipes to enjoy here, as well! :)

      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Anything with a "super easy" in the title is for me!!! My husband loves stroganoff, too, but I hardly ever make it. I'm going to get right on that!! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he likes it, Lisa! It really is super easy, being nearly 1 pot and all. :) I need to make it again for us really soon, too!

      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  5. This looks yummy, Julie. I'm getting a stroganoff recipe ready to post, too. (Totally different recipe, though.) Can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi! I will look forward to seeing your recipe for sure! I can always use more stroganoff recipes in my life. LOL :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. This recipe does not sound to hard at all. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, ma'am! I wouldn't have called it Super Easy if it wasn't! :) It's pretty tasty, too! :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. This looks good! I haven't made stroganoff, but my husband loves it, so I'll definitely be saving this.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog last week and making my SITS Day special!

    -Melissa @ Fit 'n' Well Mommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Melissa! I hope, if you try it, that he loves it and you, too! :)

      You're welcome for stopping by your blog! It was my pleasure! :)

      Thanks for stopping by, and have a great week!

      Delete
  8. Hi Julie!! This looks delicious...I love beef stroganoff! Thanks so much for dropping by and helping me celebrate my SITS Day! May you have a lovely evening!

    Michell @Prowess and Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michell, on all accounts! Always so glad to meet a fellow SITStah. :) I'm glad I could be a part of your special day.

      Delete
  9. Julie, this sounds great! My mother in law used to make a mushroom only dish like this for my husband when he was growing up. I"ll have to give it a try :) Awesome! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    The party starts tonight! Can't wait to see what you bring this week!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! I hope that you find it to your liking! :) I had you (and friends/relatives of mine) in mind when I made the Vegetarian/Vegan option. I am going to try to do that more often.

      I look forward to linking up again tomorrow! :) Thanks for stopping by and for all the social media love!

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)