NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Spring Fling, Blogger-Style!: Beef and Barley Stew (Soy, Nut, Fish, Egg and Wheat-Free, Can Be Milk-Free)

~*Welcome to*~
Today is the third day of our Spring-filled link-up with me and Jo of Jo, My Gosh!  I hope you have gotten by to see Jo's contributions to this week's link-up.  If not, you should, and I hope you will all join in the festivities and link-up below, too (rules below)! :) 

If I haven't been by to visit your submission yet, I will be soon!  I can't wait to see what you have shared with us!
Here's what I've shared with you so far:
  1.  Sean's Banana Berry Birthday Smoothie (Soy, Wheat, Nut, Fish and Egg-Free, Can Be Milk-Free)
     
  2. Super Simple Roasted Asparagus (Soy, Wheat, Egg, Nut, Milk and Fish-Free)
Today, I am sharing a recipe for Beef and Barley Stew that is soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), wheat, egg, nut and fish-free, and can be milk-free (see variations).  It is a modified version of this recipe that I got from Allrecipes.com as shared by .  It is hearty and delicious and perfect for the wet and sometimes cold days of Spring.  It is also a one pot meal, which makes it win-win in my book.  I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does (it's a new favorite).


 Beef and Barley Stew
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon full-fat, salted butter
2 to 3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 to 1 large onion, diced (I use white or yellow sweet)
2 to 3 stalks of celery, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 to 3 large (peeled) or 10 to 12 baby carrots, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 to 2 lbs. ground beef or venison
1 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced

 salt and pepper, to taste
8 Cups soy-free beef stock (I recommend Kitchen Basics)
1 to 2 Cups pearl barley

  1. Heat olive oil and butter in a large stock pot over medium heat until hot; add garlic, onion, celery and carrots and cook until onion begins to turn translucent, about 5 minutes or so. (Note: All veggie amounts are to taste.  Feel free to leave the garlic out if you don't care for it, or reduce the amount of onion, carrot or celery or whatever you like best flavor-wise.)
     
  2. Add burger and mushrooms to the pot and cook until burger is browned and cooked thoroughly, about 10 to 15 minutes or so, and season with salt and pepper to taste.  (Note: I add salt and pepper when I add the burger and mushrooms and then taste after the meat is cooked and add more as needed.  Start with less than you think you need, because you can't take it out once it's in there, but can always add more.)
     
  3. Reduce heat to medium-low and carefully pour beef stock into the pot; stir in pearl barley.
     
  4. Bring stew to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the barley is to desired doneness, about 2 to 3 hours. (Note: Re-taste periodically to see if you need more salt or pepper during this step.)
Makes about 6 servings.
Variations (Please keep your particular allergen needs in mind when using substitutions!):
  • Milk-Free: Use all olive oil or canola oil  instead of olive oil and butter in the recipe.
     
  • Gluten-Free: Sub rice, quinoa or diced potatoes for the barley.  This will reduce the cooking time to the time it takes the rice, quinoa or potatoes to cook fully.  The stew still needs to cook for at least 2 hours despite if you use pearl barley, rice, quinoa or potatoes, so keep that in mind.  If using rice or quinoa, see the packaging to see how long it needs to cook before done and add it in accordingly (i.e. if it needs an hour, add it to the stew when there is an hour  left in cooking time; if it needs 10 minutes, add it in 10 minutes before the end of cooking time).  If using potatoes, plan on adding them when there is about 20 to 30 minutes remaining in the cooking time, depending on dice size; the smaller the dice, the quicker the cooking time.
     
  • Quicker Cooking Method: Use quick cooking barley in  place of the pearl barley.  After you add the broth, let the stew cook for about 2 hours before adding the quick cooking barley 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

  • Vegetarian/Vegan: Use all mushrooms instead of beef and mushrooms, use all oil instead of oil and butter and use mushroom or vegetable stock instead of the beef stock.


 
What could be better than Beef and Barley Stew on a cold, wet Spring evening to warm you up from the inside out?  I can't think of a thing. :)

What is your favorite soup or stew? 










~*~*~*~
Now It's Your Turn!
Grab A Badge!
 



(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

10 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! I love one pot recipes and this definitely looks do-able, and adaptable with all the variations! Thanks so much, again, for the great ideas!

    XO ~Kim @ popcosmo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim, and you're more than welcome! :) It isn't a fast recipe as it needs time to cook, but it is definitely easy and worth the wait time. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Love a good and hearty soup/stew! One pot dishes are definitely a favorite!! I love mushrooms, so I think I might try the vegetarian variation! --Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love one pot wonders, too, and mushrooms! Great minds think alike! :) I hope you enjoy the vegetarian version if you try it. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for hosting! I got your email & headed right over. I brought an outfit post & a doll dress my daughter made :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing! It's an adorable outfit for a doll! I think I could make it, and that's saying something since I'm not much of a seamstress! :)

      Thanks for linking up!

      Delete
  4. I love ANY recipe that specifies that the butter must be full fat! :-D Mmmmm, butter.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, sister! LOL :) I'm all for full-fat butter, too! It's the only way to go! :)

      Delete
  5. Quinoa would be another great addition to make it GF :) YUM Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Be sure to stop by to see who the winner of our So Lucky GF Basket is! We are ALSO having a fantastic giveaway this week to kick off Celiac Awareness month! :)

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot about quinoa! I'm going to add it to the variations as soon as I get done posting this reply! Thank you. :)

      I'll make sure to stop by, too. :) Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)