NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Individual Heart Pizzas (Soy, Nut, Fish and Egg-Free, Can Be Wheat and Milk-Free)


So I decided that I really should post one more Valentine-themed recipe, after all. :)  I am sure you'll forgive me, too, especially when you see how easy and adorable these are! :)

About once a week, we have pizza at my house.  Maybe that sounds like a lot or horrible, but the majority of the time it is homemade with as natural as possible ingredients.  We do use pepperoni, but we get the best we can afford with the least amount of junk in it as possible (Hormel makes a good, allergy-friendly one).  Sometimes we do Hawaiian or Chicken BBQ or even just plain cheese...We're flexible. :)  Anyway, not important. :)  This last Sunday was our pizza day, and (with it being so close to Valentine's Day) I decided to turn them into heart-shaped individual pizzas.  They were a HUGE hit!

These fun and festive pizzas are soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), nut, fish and egg-free and can be wheat and milk-free (see variations).  Though pizza is by no means original to me, though I'm sure I'm not the first one to come up with the design, I am still ok with calling this mine because I didn't Google the recipe or get it from a book. :)

Anyway, without further adieu...


Individual Heart Pizzas
1/2 Cup hot (NOT boiling) tap water
soy-free flour (for kneading)
olive oil (for greasing)
soy-free pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce
mozzarella, Italian cheese blend and/or your favorite pizza cheeses
your favorite soy-free pizza toppings
1. Preheat oven to 425oF.

2. Add water to contents of package in a bowl; stir until moistened. (If mixture is too dry, add a little more water, 1 Tablespoon at a time until all contents is MOISTENED only. It's supposed to be a bit sticky and lumpy.)

3. Cover bowl and let stand for 5 minutes in a warm place (about 85o). (I just put the bowl on the top of my stove top towards the back while the oven is preheating for this step. There's generally enough heat coming from the oven for the dough to rise this way.)

4. Knead the dough several times on a floured board/counter top and separate it into 2 to 4 pieces.

5. Grease 1 to 2 cookie sheets or pizza pans with the olive oil.

6. Grease your fingers and shape each piece of dough into heart shapes on the pan(s) until you've used up all the dough.  (Thickness and size is personal preference, but note that if it's thicker or larger, the cooking time may be increased.  Also, I wouldn't put more than 3 pizzas per pan if the pans are large and rectangle shaped, 2 if the pans are smaller and rectangle, and 1 if the pan is round.)

7. Pre-bake dough for 2 to 3 minutes before topping each heart with pizza or spaghetti sauce, cheese and desired toppings and returning it to oven to bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden.

Makes 2 to 4 individual pizzas.


Variations (make sure all your substitutions fit your individual dietary needs):
  • Wheat-free: Use your favorite gluten-free pizza mix (such as Chebe or Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mix or any homemade gluten-free crust you prefer) and the ingredients used to make it in place of the Jiffy Pizza Crust mix and water, and make sure all your cheeses and toppings are gluten/wheat-free.  Your cooking directions may be different; just follow the ones on the crust mix package or on your recipe.
  • Milk-free: Use a dairy-free crust (such as Chebe or  Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust Mix or any homemade dairy-free crust you prefer) and the ingredients used to make it in place of the Jiffy Pizza Crust mix and water, and use dairy-free cheese (some ideas on brands to try are listed here) and toppings.  Your cooking directions may be different; just follow the ones on the crust package or on your recipe.
  • You can use any type of dough for the crust that you like, just use your crust package or recipe cooking instructions.
  • You can turn these into bread sticks, too, by keeping the heart shapes, but following the directions for pizza style plain, garlic, garlic cheese or cinnamon sugar bread sticks here.
  • You could also make this into one large heart-shaped pizza instead, too.

 I can't think of a better way to say, "I love you!" to the pizza lovers in your life, can you?


Happy Valentine's Day (a little early), all!






(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

16 comments:

  1. I love Jiffy Pizza Crust mix! I even like it better than homemade crust...is that weird? I make pizza a lot, too. I think these heart pizzas are next! (I pinned your recipe!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think that's weird. For a boxed mix, it's the best one out there without a lot of junk, though it's by no means perfect. I do have a good pizza crust recipe that I will post soon, hopefully, but when I'm in a hurry, Jiffy Pizza Crust is my go-to.

      Thanks for the comment and pinning love! :) I appreciate it! I hope your heart pizzas turn out fantastic! :)

      Delete
  2. YUM! I think food tastes better when it's in a fun shape lol or on a fun plate.......I'm a kid at heart!

    Hope your are having a great day my sweet sweet friend! Sending a hug on Vday your way <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree with that, Stacey! :) I love when food is served creatively in some way, too.

      Thank you so much! My Valentine's Day is going well, and I hope you can say the same about yours! :) *hugs back to you*

      Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. YUM!! I am fully behind pizza in all it's forms...but heart shaped pizza has to be near perfect! I wish I read this a little earlier today! If I had, I'd be making it in about 2 seconds. I'm going to do it this weekend as a post Valentine meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You always make me feel like a culinary genius. :)

      I hope your family loves them this weekend. I say, better late than never, and heart-shaped pizza is always a good idea! :D

      Happy Valentine's Day, my friend, and thanks for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment! :)

      Delete
  4. {Melinda} Oooo... my kids would love these. Too cute! I make a Chicken BBQ pizza that is a family favorite. Wish I would have seen this early enough to make them for the 14th. But as you said above, better late than never! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! :) I think any day is good to make heart-shaped pizzas! :) Kinda like writing a love note for them without words. Totally cheesy (pun intended) and yet so sweet, too! :)

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

      Delete
  5. These look great! Thank you for providing the variations - we are trying to go gluten free in support of my dad, who has Celiac disease. Also, thanks for your kind comments on my SITS day - and I am now YOUR newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope this site can be of a great help to you! You might want to check out some of my food/allergy blogs I follow listed below. A lot of them are gluten-free and have some GREAT recipes, too! :)

      Have a great week and thanks for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment!

      Delete
  6. Do you know any good gluten free pizza/ spaghetti sauces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most pizza/spaghetti sauces are by nature gluten-free. If you are looking for brands that are certified gluten-free, that I do not know off the top of my head. You can Google that information quite easily, though, by typing in "gluten-free pizza or spaghetti sauce" or something similar. I normally use either Meijer Traditional (Organic) or Chunky Garden Combo (non-organic), Bertolli Tomato and Basil (non-organic), DeLallo Pizza sauce and there's one Meijer brand pizza sauce that I use, too, but I can't recall which one (it's a soy-free kind). All of these brands do not contain gluten, but I have not noticed a "certified gluten-free" label on them. You can always make your own, too, which is relatively simple, and there's lots of recipes for those online.

      Delete
  7. These are SUPER cute! What a super fun idea! Love it!
    What a GREAT start to the link up this week! We hare some awesome recipes!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    Thanks for linking back to the Gluten Free Fridays post!


    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! :) I figured you could easily make these vegetarian. :) The best part is the customizing! Gotta love that! Makes everyone feel special. :)

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, and the Twitter and Pinterest love!

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  8. You did a great job on the shapes, Julie. I would never have guessed that you shaped them by hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heidi! :) I wish the toppings would've cooperated a little better, though. They kinda like to slide, so next time I know to put them more towards the middle and maybe prick the dough before the pre-bake. I think that will help keep them put! :D

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)