NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, December 1, 2012

12 Days of Christmas {Goodies}: Candied Pecans (Soy, Wheat, Fish and Milk-Free)


Today is the first day of The 12 Days of Christmas {Goodies} link-up, brought to you by Natural and Free and Glued to My Crafts!  Let me tell you, we are BEYOND excited to share some wonderfully merry, delightfully crafty, perfectly decadent Christmas goodies with you...and we hope you'll join us! 

At the end of this post (and every post for the full extent of this link-up) you will get the chance to share your Christmas creations with us (details to follow).  And you'll want to share because we have some amazing giveaways  (among other things) planned! And we all know, there's nothing better than a holiday giveaway! :)

Now, without further adieu...

On the first day of  The Christmas {Goodies} link-up, Natural and Free gave to me:
  1. A recipe for Candied Pecans!

These pecans are a modification of a recipe I found on allrecipes.com as submitted by Pat.  They are super simple to make, crunchy and sweet, with just a wonderful hint of cinnamon.  Besides all that, they are soy (if you use all soy-free ingredients), wheat, fish and milk-free.  Gotta love that! :)
Candied Pecans
1 egg white
1 Tablespoon water
3 Cups pecan halves
1/2 Cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  1. Preheat oven to 350 oF.
  2. Line a large cookie sheet or baking pan with foil or grease it; set aside.  (Note: I used olive oil to grease my pan, but whatever your preference is fine.  Just keep your individual allergen needs in mind when choosing your grease choice.)
  3. Mix egg white and water together in a large bowl.
  4. Add the pecans and stir until well-moistened.
  5. In a separate, small bowl, mix sugar, salt and cinnamon (amount of cinnamon is personal preference) before sprinkling over the nuts and mixing well. 
  6. Spread the nut mixture into the prepared pan in a single layer.
  7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.  (Note: DO NOT OVERCOOK!  They can go from done to burnt quickly.  Watch them closely the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking.  Once the smell gets strong of cinnamon after the 20 minute mark, pull them out.  Once they get too much past that point, they begin to burn.)
  8. Spread them on wax paper in a single layer and allow to cool completely before enjoying.
Store in an air tight container.
Variations:
  • Candied ______: Substitute the tree nut of your choice, peanuts or a mix of a few for the pecans.  I subbed almonds without having to adjust the cooking time, but I'm not sure if the same would be true for any other type of nut.  If you do try it, let me know!  I'd love to know how they turned out! :)
  • You can sub brown sugar for the white sugar or split it half and half with great success.
These would make an excellent gift!  Put them in a cute Christmas-y container with a bow and walla!  An edible gift that isn't cookies and pretty allergy-friendly to boot! :)

***

Now it's your turn!



Grab your badge here!
  
 
(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.) 
 

12 comments:

  1. These look absolutely delicious, and easy too! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny! :) They are yummy! Hard to eat just one...or two...or a dozen! LOL :)

      Delete
  2. I will be making these for my fiance! He loves flavored nut mixes (and they're super easy to ship too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I hope he loves them! :)

      Thank you for stopping by and for linking up! I look forward to keeping up with your Advent Calendar. It is one of the sweetest things ever. :)

      Delete
  3. MMMMM these look delish! Thanks for the invite. I'm following along on GFC, Facebook and G+. I did want you to know that you come up as a no-reply blogger so if you leave comments and don't get responses, this may be why. Have a wonderful weekend (I hope I win your gift card...I love surprises!)

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for linking up and for the compliment on the pecans. They are tasty! :)

      That's so weird that it says I'm a no-reply blogger! I thought I fixed it. I'll have to check it again. Thanks for letting me know!

      Have a great weekend, too! :)

      Delete
  4. Julie, your pecans look delicious! They are one of my favorite holiday flavors. Thanks for linking up on Gluten-Free Monday at OneCreativeMommy.com. I linked up some Christmas posts. Thanks for inviting me over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! They are one of my favorite holiday flavors, too...That's why they were first. :)

      I'm glad I can participate in GFM! It's a great time. :)

      Thanks for accepting my invite! Always a pleasure to have you here, Heidi. :)

      Delete
  5. YEA! I'm so glad you shared this awesome recipe on the homemade holiday party.

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie, these look great!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)
    I hope to see you again this week!

    Stop by this week to see if you were the winner of the Sugar and Spice Prize pack! We had a super great variety of recipes and entries this week!

    Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy! I will definitely be stopping by! :)

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)