NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Twenty-Two Days of Thanks: Day Thirteen


What am I thankful for?
  1. My Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ
  2. My family
  3. My church
  4. My friends
  5. Unexpected opportunities
  6. My country
  7. The four seasons
  8. Answered prayer
  9. Food
  10. Forgiveness
  11. Freedom
  12. Laughter
  13. Modern medicine
I know that there are flaws with every system, including the one our medical community is a part of.  I've seen both positive and negative things, but I'm still grateful for modern medicine.
I've seen it save lives.  There are 2 lives I am especially grateful for that may not be here today without modern medicine: Sean's and Elaina's.



Sean in the NICU
My son Sean's life was spared because of modern medicine.  Without it, his underdeveloped lungs didn't have a chance.  I am grateful for the doctors who helped him!


Elaina in the NICU
My daughter, Elaina, needed the NICU for a week, just like her brother.  She didn't have quite the extreme need as her brother, but she still needed monitoring and help learning to eat and grow.  I am grateful that she got such great help and care!

I know quite a few mothers, actually, who have had babies in the NICU, some for months, some for days.  I know each and every one is grateful for the care the staff took of their little miracles.  I know they all feel that, without modern medicine, that their babies wouldn't be here today.
But modern medicine doesn't just include the NICU.  It includes so much more than that!  Herbal medicines and remedies have come such a long way; pain medication, antibiotics, vaccines - everything has come so far!  We live in a world that is not what it was medically speaking 100 years ago or even 20 years ago.  No, things are not perfect, and you can pick and choose what you like - but how great is that even?  So many options now.  THAT is something to be grateful for. :) 

My family, who all have been helped in some way by modern medicine.
I think about my brother and sister-in-law in Africa who are grateful for the doctors here who have taken care of their youngest, Lili, and her heart issues and for the doctors they have been able to find when needed in Africa.
I think about my sister and her hubby who have needed medical procedures over the years from Appendectomies to exploratory surgeries, etc.  How grateful I am that there was a doctor around when needed!
I think about my parents who have had different procedures done from heart surgeries to back surgeries to many other outpatient things.  My mom, in fact, is having surgery today on her heart (If you think about it, keep her in your thoughts and prayers, please!  Thanks! :) ), and I'm amazed that they consider the type of surgery she's having done as "routine" and "minor" now.  Blows my mind!
I've had different surgeries over the years, too, and with my Fibro, I'm grateful for a doctor who is willing to work with me and who is knowledgeable about my condition and what to do for it (including being willing to let me take the more natural route, though I'm grateful for Meloxicam when I need it).  I'd be lost without that!
There are so many "modern miracle" stories out there related to medicine.  Oh, I know that God steps in and touches lives, but He also uses modern medicine, too.  I am blessed to have it available to me and mine!
To anyone in the field of medicine: Thank you!  Thank you for devoting your lives to helping others.  Thank you for spending sleepless nights and countless days when you could have been with your family to help mine!  Thank you for doing what I cannot.  Thank you for your service.

~ What "modern miracle" are you grateful for? ~

Share your story below or link it up on my Twenty-Two Days of Thanks page (it's the bottom link in the left sidebar). I'd love to hear from you!


***
UPDATE: I just wanted to give you all an update on my mom.  Within 5 minutes they found the problem with her heart and were able to do an oblation.  It doesn't look like she'll need a pacemaker, either.  In fact, the doctor thinks he "cured" her so she won't need heart meds anymore either!  She should be home tonight, too. :)  God is good!  Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers!

NEWEST UPDATE, 11/19/12: Please continue to pray for my mom.  She is still having some tachycardia episodes, so it looks like the pacemaker may be needed after all and sooner than later.  We're not sure if this is an adjustment period for her heart, if her heart is not making the adjustment like it's supposed to, if there is another problem area that didn't present itself during the procedure or what, but we know that God is in control!  Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts!  They are much appreciated!

NEW UPDATE, 12/20/12: Thank you all for praying for my mom!  The doctor does seem to think that the continued issues are due to the surgery and, in time, her heart will heal and the problems will cease.  We will know in a few months time if a pace maker will be needed or not.  They have changed her meds completely and she is doing a lot better.  Her doctor is reasonable confident that she will not need the pace maker, but time will tell for sure.  Thank you for your continued prayers! :)


(This post was originally posted on my original site, Fibro, Fit and Fab!)

2 comments:

  1. Love this post. So beautiful and well-said. I am so glad to see that your mom is okay, too! I know that is a huge relief! :)-Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ashley, and thank you for stopping by! :)

      Yes, it is a relief that my mom is home and doing so well. I talked with her this morning and she sounds great! :) She's sore, of course, and can't do much but she's in good spirits. I'm looking forward to getting to be with her tomorrow (my sister, and my dad of course, are taking care of things today).

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)