NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

HallNOween: Five Fun Alternatives to Halloween



Before I start this post, I just want to say that I am not writing it to judge anyone.  If you do or do not celebrate this holiday or that holiday, that is between you, your family and God.  If you disagree with our decision, that's ok, but we ask that you respect it, just as we respect yours.  Thank you. :)
***
As you may have guessed from the post title, my family does not celebrate Halloween.  We used to; I even went trick-or-treating as a girl and my hubby went as a boy, but we no longer do.  Why?  Well, there are 3 reasons really.
  1. We do not like the origin of the holiday.  As a family, we agreed that we should not celebrate something with the traditions that Halloween has, even if all it is now (for most people, anyway) is an excuse to get dressed up in costumes and get candy.  If our kids wanted to dress-up and have candy, they could do that at any time, so this was no reason to keep taking our kids out trick-or-treating in our opinion.
  2. The decor scares my kids...and sometimes us.  The last few times we actually took our kids trick-or-treating, they were terrified of some of the ways people chose to decorate.  They had nightmares about some of it (Seriously!).  To us, that makes participating in this holiday not worth it.
  3. Walking around in the cold (and either snowy or damp, considering where we live) weather for hours is horrible for my Fibromyalgia.  I couldn't take them even if I wanted to.
You may be the type that either is on the fence about whether to take your kids out or not, you may already have decided not to participate in Halloween or you may indeed celebrate the holiday but are looking for other types of fall activities to do just for fun.  This is the post for you! :)
Here is a list of five things you can do in lieu of Halloween, either before, during or after October 31st:
  1. A Harvest Party.  This is very common and a great alternative.  You don't get dressed up in costumes, but you celebrate the season of Autumn and the time of Harvest.  You can decorate with fall colors, leaves, pumpkins, apples, Indian corn, etc.  You can play games and have a piƱata with candy and toys in it.  You can have all the fun without the ghosts and goblins.
  2. Have Family Time.  You can just spend time with family, immediate or extended.  You can jump in the leaves, go on a color tour, make indoor s'mores, drink hot apple cider...You can do anything that screams "fall" to you.
  3. Have A Non-Halloween Dress-Up Party.  We don't do this, but we know people who do.  If you still want your kids to be able to dress-up, but don't like all the ghosts and goblins, have a party that has a theme like "animals" or "farmers" or "historical figures" and have the attendees dress-up accordingly.
  4. Get Away For The Night.  Over the years, we have gone from feeling like we should pass out candy if we're home to feeling like we really shouldn't support the holiday in even that capacity, so we've had to go away for the night (at least for a few hours, anyway) because we live in town and feel that (if we're not going to participate) we should not be home.  Instead, we make arrangement to go to a friend or family member's house who lives out of town (i.e. where there is no trick-or-treating because it is too rural) and stay there for the afternoon and evening until trick-or-treating is done.  We normally have pizza or some other kid-friendly meal and some kind of sugar-loaded dessert (and sometimes we've even had bags of candy/trinkets for the kiddos from the grandparents/us that they got to take home with them) so the kids feel like they haven't missed anything.  We've even played games or watched a movie and ate popcorn, too.  It's always a lot of fun, and my kids always come away from it feeling like they haven't missed a thing. :)
  5. Game Night With Candy Rewards.  This could be a party or a family thing.  What you do is get age-appropriate games together and make up a reward system.  Now, you could go very educational-based, and have them go through X amount of math or spelling/reading flashcards in a minute to earn some candy, or you could do games like Tick-Tac-Toe or Go Fish! and reward the winner of each game with a miniature candy bar or something.  You could even have candy bar eating contests or apple eating contests.  You could do any number of things.  The point is, if you feel that your kid will miss out if they aren't getting candy, then find a way for them to get the candy without the Halloween twist.  You don't really need a reason to give your kids sugar, but sometimes it's nice to give them fun ways to earn it. :)  What you use for rewards is totally up to you.
I hope you try some of these alternatives out, even if you do celebrate Halloween. You might find a new tradition to add to your yearly schedule. :)
Take care, and may you have an amazing day!


(This post was originally posted on my original site, Fibro, Fit and Fab!)

12 comments:

  1. I love these alternatives. We do like Halloween here but these would be great ideas for us any time in the fall really. Love it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! :) I'm glad you like the ideas! I hope you'll be able to try some out sometime, if not this fall, then the next. :)

      Delete
  2. We haven't ever done Halloween. Great post.

    Stopping by from SITS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad to have you stop by from SITS! :)

      Delete
  3. Great alternatives! I can completely understand and respect why you don't participate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this! My sons' school (which is a private Christian school) is doing an international day this year so the kids will dress up like the country they are studying. Your number 5 is a rreaaalllyyy good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'm glad you like my ideas. I hope they come in handy.

      Thank you for stopping by, as well, and leaving a comment. Always nice to hear from my readers. :)

      Delete
  5. I don't celebrate Halloween either and it's nice to see others that feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I think there are more people out there that just celebrate it for the love of letting their little ones get into cute costumes and get free candy more than anything else. I just wanted to share some alternatives. :) I'm glad my ideas have been well received and that people that disagree have been respectful of them as well.

      Delete
  6. I loved Halloween as a kid (and young adult), but now I'm kind of meh about it. I love the fall harvest party idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Clarinda. I've attended Harvest Parties before. They are a lot of fun...any time during autumn. :)

      Thanks for stopping by and for commenting!

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)