NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

PB&J Smoothie (Wheat, Egg, Soy and Fish-Free, Can Be Milk and Nut-Free)

PB&J Smoothie made with a Triple Berry Mix
I owe this recipe idea to Katherine of greenthickies.com.  If you've never been to her site, I strongly urge you to go.  She has an amazing story of how she recovered her health by changing her diet.  A must read, for sure.
Anyway, I was browsing her recipes for Green Smoothies and Thickies (and let me tell you, you'd never know they were packed full of greens) and decided to try my hand at my own concoction.  This is the result.
I love this recipe because it gets some greens into my diet along with whole grain, which is fantastic for my Fibromyalgia and my overall health, and that are hard for me to get otherwise in a form that I enjoy.  Let's be honest - most of us don't like our greens, let alone eat them, so finding a way where I can get them and not taste them is a bonus. :)
I hope you like my version of a green thickie, and I encourage you to check out Katherine's site and recipes.  Oh, and just so you know - my 2 year old LOVES these and any other version of a green thickie I have made so far.  That speaks for itself. :) 
This recipe is soy-free (if you use all soy-free ingredients), egg, wheat and fish-free, and can be milk and nut-free (see variations).
PB&J Smoothie
1 Cup milk
1 Cup soy-free vanilla or plain yogurt (I recommend Stonyfield)
2 Cups unsweetened frozen fruit
such as berries, peaches, bananas, apples, grapes, melon or any combination
(Think of your favorite type of jelly or jam and try to match that flavor profile in your fruit choice)
1 Cup baby spinach (loosely or tightly packed is your choice)
1/4 Cup soy-free, natural peanut butter
1 Cup quick oats
up to 2 Tablespoons honey or white sugar (optional)
1. Blend the ingredients in the order listed, making sure that the each ingredient is well incorporated before adding the next. (You may have to pulse the mix first until it is slightly blended, then continue full boar.  I use "Ice Crush" mode normally, but you can play around with the buttons and see which works best for you. :)  The mixture is supposed to be thick, but how smooth it is is up to you. Also, taste the mixture before adding the honey/sugar.  If it is sweet enough, leave it out.)
Make 4 Cups. 
If you're going to drink this with a straw, make sure it's a wide one. :)  This will hold up on its own as a meal, so keep that in mind when making it.
Variations:
  • Milk-Free: You can substitute juice (apple, grape, orange) for the milk and yogurt.  If you use juice, you can probably omit the honey completely.  You can also use a dairy-free yogurt and milk (like SoDelicious).
      
  • Thinner Smoothie: Omit the yogurt and increase the milk to 2 Cups.  You could also add even more milk if you so desire if it's still too thick for you.
      
  • Gluten/Oat-Free: Use gluten-free oats or, if you have trouble with oats, leave them out.
  • Nut-Free: If you can eat tree nuts, you can substitute any tree nut for the peanut butter in the same amount.  If you can't eat tree nuts, you can substitute an equal amount of seeds (sunflower, pumpkin) if you can eat them.  If you can't eat peanuts, tree nuts or seeds, just leave them out.
      
  • Add More Veggies: This one can be tricky, so I don't recommend this on your first try. :)  You can add some carrots, celery, cucumber to this mix when you add the spinach.  Just remember: You need DOUBLE the amount of fruit that you do of veggies, so if you have 2 Cup of veggies, you need 4 Cups of fruit.  Also, you need to make sure your veggies are very well blended or you could have texture issues.  You may even need a little more sweetener if you add more veggies as well.

(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

    4 comments:

    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed my Green Thickies recipes. Thank you so much for the mention. It's great that your 2 year old loves them. My 1 year old also loves them. I 'chew' mine but she drinks a cup ful l so fast. It's the only time she consumes raw leafy greens so at least I know she's getting a good amount in her green thickie.
      Your recipe sounds gorgeous. I'm going to have to give it a go.
      Many thanks

      Katherine

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you, Katherine! You have been an inspiration! My 2 year old gets excited every time I get the blender out. LOL :) It's so cute. I am so glad to have a way to get in those not-as-palatable veggies...for all of us. :) I hope you enjoy the recipe. Oh, and you're more than welcome for the shameless plug from me. :) You deserve it.
        -Julie

        Delete
    2. YUM YUM, I can make it with sunbutter for my fam! Awesome, got it tweeted and pinned!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I'm so glad! Hope you enjoy it! Thanks for sharing it with your area of the online world. :)

        Delete

    Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

    Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

    Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)