NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Yogurt Smoothies (Soy, Fish, Nut, Egg, and Wheat-Free)

Strawberry Yogurt Smoothie


I'm sure that this recipe isn't original necessarily, but it is one I came up with on my own. It is very customizable, creamy and smooth, tangy yet sweet and perfect for a hot summer day! It is a great alternative to a milkshake when you're craving something like one but don't want to use up all your calories on dessert. ;)  It's also nutritious enough to have for breakfast or snack.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy it as much as I (and the rest of my family) do! :)

Please note that this recipe is only soy-free if you use all soy-free ingredients and is fish, nut, egg and wheat-free.

Yogurt Smoothies

frozen fruit of your choice such as berries, peaches, mango, pineapple, bananas; any combination

soy-free vanilla yogurt

honey or white sugar (optional)


1. Place desired amount (about 1 Cup per person) of frozen (yes, it MUST be frozen) fruit in a blender.

2. Add desired amount of yogurt (start with 1/4 Cup or so per person and add more if you want the mixture thinner) to reach the desired consistency. (You may have to pulse the mix at first until it is slightly blended, then continue full boar.  I use "Ice Crush" mode normally, but you can play around with the buttons and see which works best for you. :) )

3. Taste the mixture.  If you like it as is, feel free to enjoy it as is.  If you find it too tart, add honey or sugar (I would recommend starting at about 1 Tablespoon per person, re-tasting and then adding more if desired) and re-blend until well incorporated.

Substitutions:
  • Yogurt Substitution: You could use plain yogurt in place of the vanilla yogurt or even milk.  A flavored yogurt would work as well, though that would probably take away the "soy-free" status of the recipe in that soy-free flavored yogurts (other than vanilla) are hard to find.
  • Honey/Sugar Substitution: You could use Splenda or another sweetener if you are looking to cut the calories or are diabetic.  You could also use jam or preserves, maple syrup, molasses - any form of sweetener that you prefer.


And whatever you do...If you make one for yourself, make one for your sweet little 2 year old, too, because (if you don't) this could happen:

And this:

Live and learn. :)




(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

    6 comments:

    1. YUM!! :) I'd like to invite you to link it up at our Gluten Free Fridays recipe party that is going on right now! :) Hope you can join us!
      Cindy
      http://vegetarianmamma.com/glutenfreefridays-recipe-party-6/

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you for the invite, Cindy! :) I will most certainly link-up! :)

        Delete
    2. YUM, I love the cutie in the picture too! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! What a fantastic link up of recipes and other GF goodies! Each week, I am so amazed! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I hope that you'll join us this week! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you for stopping by, Cindy. :) Always good to hear from you. I enjoy linking up. I'm looking forward to doing so again Friday.

        Oh, and I'm kinda partial to the cutie in the picture, too. ;) Love her curls! I just hope she doesn't hate them when she's older. LOL :)

        Delete
    3. Great blog and great recipes! This one looks very yummy and simple. Your pictures really make me hungry:) Do you have recipes of juices here? Thanks.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! I do not have any juice recipes here, but I will have to look into that! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

        Delete

    Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

    Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

    Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)