NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Friday, June 22, 2012

Chicken Enchilada Soup (Soy, Egg, Fish and Nut-Free)




This is a recipe that I came up with last night. It was a huge hit with the family! My oldest son, who is very picky when it comes to soup (I can never can get him to eat more than a very small bowlful unless it's chili), ate almost as much as my husband did! Needless to say, that made me know this one is a winner...At least for us. :) Note that this soup is more of a "stoup", is egg, fish and nut-free and is only soy-free if you use soy-free chicken stock/broth/bouillon, soy-free sour cream and soy-free salsa. 

Chicken Enchilada Soup
1 chicken breast, cooked (You will need about 1 Cup worth or so.)

8 to 16 oz. (1 to 2 Cups) soy-free salsa (any heat)


3 Cups soy-free chicken broth/stock (I use Kitchen Basics)
or
3 Cups water plus 3 chicken bullion cubes
(Soy-free bullion is hard to find, so I recommend using the stock instead if you need it to be soy-free.)


1 teaspoon dried parsley

4 Cups diced potatoes
(peeled if using russet type, unpeeled if using red type)

3 Tablespoons salted, full-fat butter

1/4 Cup soy-free flour

8 oz. (1 Cup) shredded cheese (I use cheddar)

1 1/2 Cup milk

3/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 Cup sour cream (I use Daisy Brand)

1. Shred or chop chicken into bite-sized pieces. (If you have left-over chicken from something, you can use 1 Cup of it here. You could also boil or roast a chicken breast and use that. I prefer to sprinkle chicken with paprika and cover it with about 1/4 Cup water and cook it in the crock pot for about 2 to 3 hours on High until it is done and then use that. The choice is yours. :) )

2. Add chopped/shredded chicken, salsa, broth/stock or water and bullion, parsley and potatoes in a large soup pot and bring to a boil, simmering until potatoes are to desired tenderness. (Note: How much salsa you use is according to personal preference, as well as which heat. You can even mix 2 different heats, if you wish.)

3. In a small skillet, melt the butter and add the flour, cooking and stirring it for 3 to 5 minutes or until the mixture is bubbly. (You are making what is called a roux (pronounced "rue") here. You can let it get as dark as you want (the darker it gets, the more nutty the taste), but be careful as to not burn the flour.)

4. Add roux to pot, bring to a boil and cook and stir for 2 minutes.

5. Reduce heat to low and add cheese, milk, salt and pepper, cooking and stirring until the cheese melts.

6. Remove the pot from heat and blend in sour cream.

Note: This recipe yields 2 1/4 quarts or about eight 1 Cup servings.

This soup is delicious as is, or you can top each individual serving with extra sour cream and parsley, hot sauce, salsa, cheese, etc. if desired.


(Chicken Enchilada Soup topped with extra sour cream and parsley)

(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

2 comments:

  1. Have you made this and then froze it? If so, any suggestions on the best way to do it.

    Thanks,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Amy.

      I have not, but I don't see why you couldn't. I would probably suggest making the recipe through step 4 and then freezing it, adding the rest later after you'd thawed it. I think it would be least likely to separate that way.

      You could definitely freeze it in smaller amounts that way, too, but you'd have to change the porportions of cheese, milk, etc. Like if you froze it in 2 halves, you'd have to add just 3/4 Cup of milk per batch you thawed, etc. I hope that makes sense.

      You could try freezing it completely made, too. I don't see why that wouldn't work out for you, though it might look a little oddly when thawing. It should still cook up fine.

      If you do try freezing it, let me know! I'd love to know how it works out for you!

      Thanks for commenting, and sorry I couldn't be of more help.

      Delete

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)