NOTICE

At the time of publication, all recipes were free of the allergens listed as being free of in the title (i.e. soy-free, milk-free, etc.), and all other information shared was accurate to the best of my knowledge.
Though I strive to update outdated information quickly and work diligently to make sure you have the most accurate information possible at all times, it is your duty to double check labels EVERY TIME to ensure that the ingredients you use are SAFE FOR YOU.
DO NOT RELY SOLELY ON THIS INFORMATION AS INGREDIENTS AND INFORMATION DO CHANGE.
Your doctor or allergist should also be your first go-to for information on how to handle your medical needs. That being said, if you DO notice an error, please send me an email letting me know (tell me what page or recipe the error is on, what the error is, etc.), and I will correct the error ASAP.
Thank you so much!

Please Be Advised:
I make sure all of my recipes use foods that are free of the allergens they say they are free of. You will need to do the same. For help with this, please see the appropriate "Alternative Names" page for the allergen(s) you need the recipe free of.

Print This Recipe/Page

Print Friendly and PDF

Monday, April 30, 2012

Wacky Cake (Fish, Soy, Milk, Nut and Egg-Free)

This is a recipe I got from my mom. If memory serves, she got it from my cousin, Beth Sommer. It's one of those things that's been passed down and I'm not really sure on the origin, so if you know, let me know! :) Also, some of the variations I did find on the web, but I didn't bookmark it, so I have no idea where.

This recipe is soy-free (if you use all soy-free ingredients) and is milk, nut, fish and egg-free.


Wacky Cake made using double recipe in 9x13 pan, topped with powdered sugar



Wacky Cake

Ingredients:

1 ½ Cups Soy-Free All-Purpose Flour

1 Cup White Sugar

3 Tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa

1 teaspoon Baking Soda

½ teaspoon Salt

1 teaspoon Vanilla

1 Tablespoon Vinegar (such as Apple Cider or Distilled White)

5 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1 Cup Cold Water

Powdered Sugar (Optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.


2. In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, soda, and salt.


3. Make three wells in the flour mixture. In one put vanilla, in another the vinegar, and in the third, the oil.


4. Pour the cold water over the mixture and stir until moistened.


5. Pour into buttered (floured, too, if you like) 8 x 8-inch pan. (Use oil to grease the pan to keep it soy and milk-free or salted butter just to keep it soy-free.)


6. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it springs back when touched lightly.


7. Dust with powdered sugar when the cake is cooled before serving, if desired.


Variations:
  • Vanilla Wacky Cake: Omit the cocoa, and double the amount of vanilla.
  • Lemon Wacky Cake: Omit the cocoa, and substitute lemon juice for the vinegar. For extra lemon flavor, substitute lemon juice for the vanilla as well.
  • Orange Wacky Cake: Omit the cocoa and vinegar. Substitute Orange Juice for the water. 
  • Berry Chocolate Wacky Cake: Substitute any berry flavor for the vanilla, or add a teaspoon of any berry flavor to the mix if you prefer to keep the vanilla in. (Please note that a lot of berry extracts are not soy-free.)
  • Other variations: Any acidic juice can be used in place of the vinegar (i.e. orange, lemon, lime), and you can also use other flavorings other than or along with the vanilla (i.e. berry), so have fun playing around with flavors. J


You can also frost this cake with the Cocoa Frosting I had in the other recipe or make a glaze that I will list here. Please note, though, that the glaze/frosting is not milk-free.


Vanilla Glaze*
1/3 Cup salted, full-fat butter

2 Cups powdered sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Dash of salt

2 to 4 Tablespoons hot water

1. Melt butter in 1 1/2-quart saucepan.
2. Stir in powdered sugar, vanilla and salt.
3. Stir in hot water, 1 Tablespoon at a time, until smooth and consistency of thick syrup.

Glazes on 12-cup bundt cake or 10-inch angel food or chiffon cake.

Variation: Citrus Glaze: Substitute any combination of lemon, orange, lime, grapefruit and/or pineapple juice for the vanilla and hot water.

Also, dried fruit can be added to the cake. Sometimes I do a Cranberry-Orange Wacky Cake with Orange Glaze. It's a big hit with the family! :)

*The Glazes are modified versions of recipes found in Betty Crocker's New Cookbook.

UPDATE: Coffee worked as the acid! Mocha Wacky Cake




(This recipe was originally posted on my original site, Natural and Free.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Feel free to leave a message or email me directly (See the "Contacting Me" page for more information on how to do this.).

Please note that all comments must be approved before they are published, and no anonymous comments are allowed (you can email me if you don't want to leave a public comment). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Thanks for reading me! I love to hear from my readers so keep the comments/emails coming! :)